Need other recommendations for pumps besides Sicce!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2022
Messages
7,146
Reaction score
10,451
Location
Easton
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is now my around fourth Sicce pump to break in varying sizes. IMO they are poorly made pumps and cheap. I heard rattling in my sump and in my attempt to fix the rattling which didn’t work my blade snapped in half on my brand new skimmer pump. So what are some good alternatives?
IMG_1081.jpeg
 
Looks like the shaft is broken. That's happened to me when I didn't pull the impeller strait up when removing it to clean. Sorry if I'm seeing it wrong
The actual propeller snapped in half when I was using it. I was trying to fix the rattling when it was underwater which happened straight out of the box and then the entire thing flew out/off underwater and snapped.
 
The actual propeller snapped in half when I was using it. I was trying to fix the rattling when it was underwater which happened straight out of the box and then the entire thing flew out/off underwater and snapped.
If it is brand new doesn’t it have a warranty on defective impeller shafts? That one looks ceramic and they can break easily in shipping, or by running the pump dry, or by pulling the impeller out crooked.

When they break they make a heck of a noise, is that what you were trying to fix?

Contact the company for a repair or replacement impeller.

I try to avoid ceramic impellers because they are prone to this.

How much water does the skimmer need and what outlet size, if you are going away from Sissy?:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::cool:
 
Sicce has a 5 year warranty when you register the pump.

What type of skimmer is this for?
 
I switched to the Vectra s2 pump. no problem with the pump itself but the power brick went out after a power failure. Still think they are worth it. Much quieter.
 
The actual propeller snapped in half when I was using it. I was trying to fix the rattling when it was underwater which happened straight out of the box and then the entire thing flew out/off underwater and snapped.
what happend to the cover?
 
LifeReef!
I am talking to Jeff at Lifereef now and getting a sump and skimmer from him. For the skimmer he recommends I use the Magdrive 9.5. Pump. You may ask him a recommendation. Note - He does not seem to like DC pumps.
 
I am talking to Jeff at Lifereef now and getting a sump and skimmer from him. For the skimmer he recommends I use the Magdrive 9.5. Pump. You may ask him a recommendation. Note - He does not seem to like DC pumps.
I know he doesn't lol! He doesn’t like and I mean he hates and has a strong aversion to needle wheel skimmers too!:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: But his work and customer service is amazing! The best!
 
I use mag pumps and lifereef skimmers as well - bulletproof imo. Sicce pumps I also have /had and am not a fan of as they have not been long lived for me fwiw.
 
Dc pumps DO NOT like head pressure, that's probably why Jeff is not a fan.
Sicce is a well respected brand. Sorry for your troubles but as was said I would just replace the impeller under warranty. You do have to be careful with ceramic shafts, and most pumps have them.
 
This is now my around fourth Sicce pump to break in varying sizes. IMO they are poorly made pumps and cheap. I heard rattling in my sump and in my attempt to fix the rattling which didn’t work my blade snapped in half on my brand new skimmer pump. So what are some good alternatives?
IMG_1081.jpeg
Most pumps have ceramic shafts like the one you broke.

Maybe try not being so heavy-handed? Not trying to poke, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate because if you get another pump with a ceramic shaft and break that one, then that makers no good either.

My Sicce pump is 7 years old and I think I cleaned it 3 times. Not many pumps offer 5 years warranty, they are pretty decent pumps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new