Need overflow plumbing advice

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello!
I purchased a used custom reef ready 240 gallon cube with dual overflows on each rear corner of the tank. This system will be hard plumbed and I am incorporating a manifold. I am trying to figure out the best way to set up these overflows. I was told to go with a single drain line on each overflow along with a return line and no emergency drains. But what I was going for is a Herbie style system on each overflow and bring the return lines from the back of the tank and over the glass. I also read that I can go with a Herbie style drain on one of the overflows and the other overflow can be canceled and used only with an emergency drain and the other hole as the return line. With the Herbie system I’m planning to use gate valves for adjusting the flow and I would much rather utilizing one overflow for the Herbie system and cancel out the other one as I previously mentioned, this way I only have to worry about making adjustments to one drain instead of two. Will one be enough for this size tank to properly drain? The sump has the same dimensions as the tank. 48x48. Please see pictures attached. Thanks in advance :)

F1940438-9B5F-49E5-BBC7-8F3938320114.jpeg

EBB412AF-8B12-4F62-81EC-BA9736498840.jpeg

CFF9B118-04E6-4528-865C-7921ECD68068.jpeg

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
Question in the picture last pic of tank is it camera angle it is the glass broken or cracked at corner . .? Or maybe just trapped water under

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read that I can go with a Herbie style drain on one of the overflows and the other overflow can be canceled and used only with an emergency drain and the other hole as the return line. With the Herbie system I’m planning to use gate valves for adjusting the flow and I would much rather utilizing one overflow for the Herbie system and cancel out the other one as I previously mentioned, this way I only have to worry about making adjustments to one drain instead of two. Will one be enough for this size tank to properly drain? The sump has the same dimensions as the tank. 48x48. Please see pictures attached. Thanks in advance :)

I would do this, for the reasons to mentioned. A single 1.5" drain in full siphon can handle a lot of water, around 2500+ gph.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
Question in the picture last pic of tank is it camera angle it is the glass broken or cracked at corner . .? Or maybe just trapped water under
Lol! Nope you saw it right. It’s cracked but the glass that is cracked is not the one that touches water. When they built this tank they used a double pane on the bottom to absorb punishment and thank god they did. It has several cracks. I figured someone was going to point that out.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it. How big are the holes in the overflows? How much flow are you wanting to go through the overflows and sump?

I would do a siphon and emergency in each overflow. Siphon will be the smaller hole. You won't have to adjust them very often, if at all.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it. How big are the holes in the overflows? How much flow are you wanting to go through the overflows and sump?

I would do a siphon and emergency in each overflow. Siphon will be the smaller hole. You won't have to adjust them very often, if at all.
The bigger holes are approx 2 inches but I plan on reducing them. What diameter would you recommend? I don’t have a number as to how much flow is going through the overflows and sump. I do plan to use an ecotech l2 and run a manifold for a Uv, reactor and have an available line .

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They’re pretty big holes.

1207A784-AB59-452E-82D2-48DF9950CEE2.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger holes are approx 2 inches but I plan on reducing them. What diameter would you recommend? I don’t have a number as to how much flow is going through the overflows and sump. I do plan to use an ecotech l2 and run a manifold for a Uv, reactor and have an available line .

How large are the smaller holes? They *should* be the ones doing the heavy lifting.

If you're not sure of flow, I would definitely recommend using both overflows. Leave the large holes as they are, so you will have big emergency pipes, and you don't want to put valves on them.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are the smaller holes? They *should* be the ones doing the heavy lifting.

If you're not sure of flow, I would definitely recommend using both overflows. Leave the large holes as they are, so you will have big emergency pipes, and you don't want to put valves on them.
Makes sense. I only plan on putting valves on the main drain lines makes sense? Does it make sense to have the return lines come from behind and above the glass into the tank?

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got home and measured the holes. The big holes are actually 2 1/2 inch and the smaller holes are 1 3/4 inch . Should I reduce any of them?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not reduce. A 1 3/4 " hole is actually for something like a 1" bulkhead. You'll have to go shopping and see which bulkhead will fit.

If you have a fish store local, that would be the easiest.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CA72000E-4F59-458D-A1D6-7DB8DF2B05C2.jpeg

The overflow covers have come in and are ready to be glued and siliconed on to the overflows. Im at the point where the plumbing will be done on the 21st if things go as planned but I’m still not sure as to the way to go with the overflows. What I’m leaning towards is the Herbie system on both overflows and bringing the return lines from the back of the tank and over the glass. I have one of my lfs doing the plumbing as these guys are pros. Thoughts???? 0B3B2630-0D4A-43F5-9834-761A02950D01.jpeg C9C63250-608D-41D2-ADA2-F8ECE8C2ECCD.jpeg

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 250 is the same configuration but has 2- 1" drains holes in each box.
I run a Herbie with 1" pipes & it runs fine, 1" drain & 1" emergency each.
Use Gate Valves on the main drain NOT ball valves, adjustment is NOT fine enough.
If you like Sea Swirls you can use them for returns over the top.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 250 is the same configuration but has 2- 1" drains holes in each box.
I run a Herbie with 1" pipes & it runs fine, 1" drain & 1" emergency each.
Use Gate Valves on the main drain NOT ball valves, adjustment is NOT fine enough.
If you like Sea Swirls you can use them for returns over the top.
For sure gate valves and check valves.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie on each side and return over the back is a good plan. LFS doing it is fine if you're not comfortable.

Why check valves? They're usually not recommended.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbie on each side and return over the back is a good plan. LFS doing it is fine if you're not comfortable.

Why check valves? They're usually not recommended.
In case a power outage, reduce risk of flooding the house.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Remember --Check Valves WILL FAIL unless maintained. Usually @ the most in-opportune time.
Make sure the sump can handle the drain down & you don't need them.

OP
OP
saltwater newby

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Remember --Check Valves WILL FAIL unless maintained. Usually @ the most in-opportune time.
Make sure the sump can handle the drain down & you don't need them.
Yessir! You’re correct, the sump holds roughly 150 gallons as is a 45x45x20 cube. So that being said, do you guys feel that check valves are an extra unnecessary expense?

Back