Need Plumbling and Filtration Help Please!

ktbug545

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!
Just some background, (I posted in the “new to saltwater” forum a few weeks ago..) I am coming back to saltwater after about 10 years. I’m moving into a new house this week, and have decided to set up my first tank in a long time! I am planning a 75 gallon reef tank.
There is so many new things in the hobby since then, so I am learning!
This will be my first time setting up a sump on my own, and I need some help.
I have chosen the Trigger System Emerald Green 26 inch Sump. I want to set up a simple overflow box, simple, most efficient and effective setup in my sump. I have ready a lot about the pros to using PVC (if anyone has any input there, I would love to hear it.)
Before I start ordering, I wanted to ask...

1. What overflow box would you suggest for my 75 gal tank, and what return pump do you suggest?

2. I plan on putting my Protien skimmer and heaters in my sump. But I’m completely lost on what filtration media is best in my sump. Can someone walk me through this?

3. If anyone has any tips or tricks or just plain advice for plumbing, I’m all ears. Better yet, if someone lives in Nashville and is interested in helping... I’m all ears ;) haha

4. If anyone wants a list of my equipment list (if it will help) let me know!

Thank you all so much!
So excited to start a build thread once i get this buddy up and going ;)

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed building my own overflow for my 75. A local glass shop was able to fabricate the small panels for a box.

67fc238f530561330927065090852296.jpg

As far as filtration media, I’d use Seachem Matrix all the way.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!
Just some background, (I posted in the “new to saltwater” forum a few weeks ago..) I am coming back to saltwater after about 10 years. I’m moving into a new house this week, and have decided to set up my first tank in a long time! I am planning a 75 gallon reef tank.
There is so many new things in the hobby since then, so I am learning!
This will be my first time setting up a sump on my own, and I need some help.
I have chosen the Trigger System Emerald Green 26 inch Sump. I want to set up a simple overflow box, simple, most efficient and effective setup in my sump. I have ready a lot about the pros to using PVC (if anyone has any input there, I would love to hear it.)
Before I start ordering, I wanted to ask...

1. What overflow box would you suggest for my 75 gal tank, and what return pump do you suggest?

2. I plan on putting my Protien skimmer and heaters in my sump. But I’m completely lost on what filtration media is best in my sump. Can someone walk me through this?

3. If anyone has any tips or tricks or just plain advice for plumbing, I’m all ears. Better yet, if someone lives in Nashville and is interested in helping... I’m all ears ;) haha

4. If anyone wants a list of my equipment list (if it will help) let me know!

Thank you all so much!
So excited to start a build thread once i get this buddy up and going ;)

@ktbug545 welcome to R2R and back to the salty side. I use the same exact sump. You'll like it. As far as the Pump there are many good ones out there on a similar size to your 75g I have a custom built 65g and decide to use this adjustable pump; https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_R...Aquarium_Pumps-Tunze-TZ10740-FIWPSBTO-vi.html and again many good skimmers out there but a good one that fits nicely in the area of our sump I decided on the https://www.marinedepot.com/NYOS_QU...r_Aquariums_Reefs-Nyos-6D92019-FIPSIS-vi.html

I'll attach a couple of pics to give you an idea. The lights are not at peak yet so it is still a bit low light in the tank. The collection cup is pretty clear and not dark yet as I just did a WC last night so not much waste to collect in the pic shown...give it a couple of days and it'll be like sludge. lol

Please keep us posted and do your build under the 'Build Thread' section so you will get a sporty Build Contributor ribbon. :)

48275497_10217537536053057_7566806969013501952_n.jpg

48403302_10217537535533044_5643165072176971776_n.jpg

48360977_10217537527772850_3533379185357619200_n.jpg

48393452_10217537528492868_8748255358637572096_n.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I agree with the eshopps overflow, but I would use the large.
http://www.eshopps.com/products/overflowboxes/eclipse-l/.

BUT, before you do use this kit, do a search here on R2R for others that have used this kit.
The drilling template that is supplied with this kit places the holes about a 1/4"-1/2" low.
There is a easy fix.

In my sumps,I use a 3 chambered design.
First chamber is the incoming water from the display tank and the skimmer, second I use for a refugium, third is the return pump area and different equipment like probes, heaters, float valves for ATO's, etc.

OP
OP
K

ktbug545

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GPH is what I’m confused over I guess. Do I want my overflow box to have more of less gph capability than my pump?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
GPH is what I’m confused over I guess. Do I want my overflow box to have more of less gph capability than my pump?
The over flow must have a greater capacity than the pump.
But you also need to take into consideration the pumps headloss.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeah, they would work.
I like your choice of pumps.
Sicce pumps are super dependable.
I've been using the same one on one of my tanks for 3+ years. Still amazingly quiet.

But I hate your choice of overflow boxes.
I just don't like the hang-on overflow boxes.
My personal experiences with them were never good.
Always something went wrong and ended up with a flood.

IMO you should consider one of the drilling options available.

OP
OP
K

ktbug545

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wasn’t looking to drill.

Are their any dependable options with a hang on, that can help prevent a flood from occurring?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I would drill the tank if possible.
If possible set up you plumbing outside and test it first. You do not have to glue anything to test the drain lines. Try to plan ahead so you can make changes, so you can take the sump out, move the tank or remove your return pump for mantaince. Superflex or ultra flex PVC is much mor flexible than spa flex and can eliminate a lot of tight bends and vibration noise from pumps. Use Teflon paste on threaded PVC connections, not tape.

1WildBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a HOB overflow. Your risk of flooding is greater than drilling but you can use a gate valve to reduce the flow. Drilling your tank will be more reliable than the HOB. Do more research before investing in either, you’ll be glad you did.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I honestly wasn’t looking to drill.

Are their any dependable options with a hang on, that can help prevent a flood from occurring?
With a hang-on overflow there are no guarantees.
There is always the risk of losing the siphon.

Lately there have been a few drilling options that really make it simple.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back