Need powerhead recommendations

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together an 8 ft x 2 ft x 12 in frag tank. Looking for recommendations on powerheads, GPH for each powerhead, the brand, and location of each powerhead. Original though was 4 large powerheads, 2 on each side. Now I am thinking its probably easier to have 6 to 8 running along the length of the frag tank so they only need to push water the 2 foot width and not the full length. What would you all recommend? It will be a mixed frag tank.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together an 8 ft x 2 ft x 12 in frag tank. Looking for recommendations on powerheads, GPH for each powerhead, the brand, and location of each powerhead. Original though was 4 large powerheads, 2 on each side. Now I am thinking its probably easier to have 6 to 8 running along the length of the frag tank so they only need to push water the 2 foot width and not the full length. What would you all recommend? It will be a mixed frag tank.
2 mp40s mixed reef frag tank will need different flow amounts. Id just put them on the long ends blowing toward the drains and maybe centered. Center would be the high flow area for sps and high flow euphyllia. Thats what I would do anyway. Lol im working on my 50 lowboy and thats only 4ft so ill use 1 mp10.good luck. Im starting to fill mine
16338194183613809096732102202734.jpg

OP
OP
Iam_Mitch

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp40s mixed reef frag tank will need different flow amounts. Id just put them on the long ends blowing toward the drains and maybe centered. Center would be the high flow area for sps and high flow euphyllia. Thats what I would do anyway. Lol im working on my 50 lowboy and thats only 4ft so ill use 1 mp10.good luck. Im starting to fill mine
16338194183613809096732102202734.jpg
Thanks! Nice build! I was thinking potentially 3 power heads on each side. All controllable so like you said different areas can get different flow.
But maybe 2 MP40s would be good. Just concerned about the length. 8 feet is a long way for a power head to blow down

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO MP 40s are not going to push water 8 feet. I found 6’ to be their max. I have one on each end and now considering a MP60 opposite two MP40s.

Islandvib3s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Nice build! I was thinking potentially 3 power heads on each side. All controllable so like you said different areas can get different flow.
But maybe 2 MP40s would be good. Just concerned about the length. 8 feet is a long way for a power head to blow down
Thx yea its a 50 lowboy,plumbed into a 20T for macroalgea display/refugium and into 40B sump ..I think the mp40s should be fine for a frag tank. Id try to lessen the cords so go big . And the mps have great controls and settings.not everything likes to grow and get full polyp extensions in alot of flow from what I've notice. Im still pretty new to the hobby maybe a yr and half in but I DIY almost everything. Multiple powerheads would work thats controllable but I just think thats too many cords and if they aren't like the MPs then you'll have all those cords hanging over your tanks rim. I know frag tanks are ment to be factories but they can still be build to look good also lol. 2 mp40s should be perfect for a 8x2x1 tank. I have 1 mp40 in my 65tall and its at its lowest setting but its 4ft L x 2ft T x 13in D and kept up top and has rock structure to slow the flow. If your tank is just a frag tank and a frag rack itll be enough. They also hold its value in case you want to change them out.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reef octopus octopulse 4 powerheads. They are CRAZY powerful and will easily push water 8ft. They are a wide enough flow to not batter corals too. I tried putting ONE in my 48" long tank. On the lowest setting it pushed all the sand back from the opposite end of the tank at least 6-8inches. They seriously are a powerhouse pump. That 4500gph is a very conservative rating.

OP
OP
Iam_Mitch

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll look in to those! Will it be better to have large power heads trying to push water across the entire thing or have smaller power heads along the length of that way I have better control?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll look in to those! Will it be better to have large power heads trying to push water across the entire thing or have smaller power heads along the length of that way I have better control?
That’s really going to depend. I personally would try just larger power heads for the time being shooting the long way. This would hoped great a less direct and gentle flow in the middle for lps with a stronger current on the ends for sps. If that isn’t going to do it, it would be easy to do a blend of the two and add two smaller powerheads in the middle of the tank.

Back