need recommendation on reliable hob skimmer

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers,
any of you have experience with a good hob skimmer for a 30-40 gallon tank? it needs to be hob and not hang in the tank.
i had the aquamaxx hob 1.5, but didn't work well. the skark pump kept seizing and it skimmer overall was very finicky. i have a 30 gallon lagoon tank and now shopping around for a hob skimmer. trying to find something below $250 since this is a garage frag tank. also something reliable (because the tank is in the garage). thanks

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers,
any of you have experience with a good hob skimmer for a 30-40 gallon tank? it needs to be hob and not hang in the tank.
i had the aquamaxx hob 1.5, but didn't work well. the skark pump kept seizing and it skimmer overall was very finicky. i have a 30 gallon lagoon tank and now shopping around for a hob skimmer. trying to find something below $250 since this is a garage frag tank. also something reliable (because the tank is in the garage). thanks
I wonder if you just got a bad unit with the aquamaxx. I have had nothing but success and positive results with the aquamaxx skimmer line. I have a HOB 1.5 that has been trouble free and skimming as it should for 3yrs now. I also have an in sump one that is nice too. Only had that one going about 6months.

I would recommend aquamaxx but it seems your looking to go a different direction :p good luck!

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an Eshops 75 on mine. Works fantastic. Not too pricey (I’ve got an excellent used one I’ll sell you cheap if you pay shipping because I just started a sump on my 40 and it doesn’t fit in the sump.) I’ve had really good luck with Eshops products.

OP
OP
Coral Bros

Coral Bros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you just got a bad unit with the aquamaxx. I have had nothing but success and positive results with the aquamaxx skimmer line. I have a HOB 1.5 that has been trouble free and skimming as it should for 3yrs now. I also have an in sump one that is nice too. Only had that one going about 6months.

I would recommend aquamaxx but it seems your looking to go a different direction :p good luck!
hmm. yea.. maybe it is the shark pump. it siezed up alot and was very finicky. did your 1.5 have the shark 1.0 pump too?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. yea.. maybe it is the shark pump. it siezed up alot and was very finicky. did your 1.5 have the shark 1.0 pump too?
Yes, my HOB has the shark 1.0 for a pump. I had this pump not restart for me once. I pulled the skimmer and found that the pump was dirty. I gave it a cleaning and had no problem. It hadn’t been cleaned since first being used which was probably a good 6months. I clean all my pumps and equipment like that every 3months now to keep everything working properly.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back