Need recommendations on a new large cal reactor

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade my calcium reactor ..the one I have now is very undersized and I have to refill it ever other month .my system is 575gallons ,heavy stocked with lps and acros .I was thinking aqurium engineering or geo maybe ? Any other options people like for larger calcium reactors ?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dastaco style calcium reactors are really cool

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo 818 is probably a push at 575 system gallons. DaStaco seems really overpriced, and is smaller than the Geo. I'd go for the Aquarium Engineering 8" automated reactor if I was buying new. The MTC ProCal is a good unit, though it's probably also a size push for 575 gallons … plus you'd have to find a used one since the company is gone now. You could also do as I did - make one!

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geo 818 is probably a push at 575 system gallons. DaStaco seems really overpriced, and is smaller than the Geo. I'd go for the Aquarium Engineering 8" automated reactor if I was buying new. The MTC ProCal is a good unit, though it's probably also a size push for 575 gallons … plus you'd have to find a used one since the company is gone now. You could also do as I did - make one!
Lol you say dastaco is overpriced but recommend the aquarium engeneering one
Lol that’s rich (pun intended)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you say dastaco is overpriced but recommend the aquarium engeneering one
Lol that’s rich (pun intended)

Have you actually checked the prices LOL? It's hard to do a direct comparison from pictures, and neither one is cheap, but the 8" ACR sells for $1,350, a comparably sized DaStaco for $2,050. Some folks might judge BOTH to be overpriced, but the latter ….. well, you do the math.

OP
OP
charliethetuna

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at this reef octo its duel 8 inch chamber for near the same price as the geo which is single 8 inch ....I def dont want anything automatic I like to do it myself and cant justify spending that much for it
Screenshot_20191118-121424_Chrome.jpg

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my aquarium engineering acr. Reach out to Bill and talk to him about anything. He’s creepy intelligent yet super laid back

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider the Dastaco Xtrema A4 to be the best piece of equipment connected to my 500gallon system by far!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life Reef has a big one. Any of the custom folks can probably make you one bigger, but I have the largest Korallin and I have to refill it every 6 months on a 240g, so that might not even be 3 for you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back