Need recommondation for a HOB skimmer

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 29 gallon AGA tank that is not drilled and I have no plans in the near future to drill it or run an over flow. My AquaC Remora has just ceased to produce any decent skimmmate for the past 3 weeks. It seems to have lost its bubble spray capability but is still pushing the water through at its normal rate. I've cleaned it inside and out, soaked the entire skimmer in a 1:5 vinegar solution overnight. The only changes I've been doing is a once a week 10% wc where as I was doing a once a month 25% water change. I'm trying to follow the Red Sea SPS Dominant recipe.

Is the upped water changes and low nutrient whats doing it? I still get a film algae on the glass every few days and still have bubble algae.

Looking to spend preferably under $200 and I want to buy new, not used.

Last edited:

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the HOB-1. They upgraded it but the original works well. I think it is priced right at $199

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AquaC Remora has just ceased to produce any decent skimmmate for the past 3 weeks. It seems to have lost its bubble spray capability but is still pushing the water through at its normal rate.

You can't break an AquaC, so don't give up!

Poke out the spray nozzle with a piece of wire if necessary...good chance that a grain of sand of limpet shell has become edged in there.

It's also possible the pump, or its impeller, is just kaput. That's a cheap fix.\

No need for a new skimmer....the one you have is a really nice one!

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't break an AquaC, so don't give up!

Poke out the spray nozzle with a piece of wire if necessary...good chance that a grain of sand of limpet shell has become edged in there.

It's also possible the pump, or its impeller, is just kaput. That's a cheap fix.\

No need for a new skimmer....the one you have is a really nice one!

I've tried that with the wire brush it comes with. Both sides, the input by the pump and even under the screw by the output of the tube. The pump itself seems fine, I turned it on by mistake the other day and forgot to put the screw back in place and it shot out water at least to my 8 foot ceiling, .

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried that with the wire brush it comes with. Both sides, the input by the pump and even under the screw by the output of the tube. The pump itself seems fine, I turned it on by mistake the other day and forgot to put the screw back in place and it shot out water at least to my 8 foot ceiling, .

So you looked in here and you see no obstruction in the nozzle?
screw_in_a_skimmer_paul_wwm.jpg

If the pump isn't broken, this is the only other thing that can get in the way.

Check the rest of the air/water feed plumbing in case there's some other weird obstruction, but I've never heard of anything like that.

The pump might work fine with no back-pressure on it, BTW, but then performance craters once you put the nozzle in place, which applies some backpressure.

Any chance you can lay your hands on any similarly-sized pump to try out?

Or if you have a good LFS, maybe just pick up a replacement and try it out....if that fixes the problem you can either keep the new pump or return it and try replacing your old pump's impeller.

@Brew12 what do you think?

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled that plug and ran the supplied cleaning brush through it straight down and even ran the brush from the input end until I could see it through the screw hole.

It just seems as of late I'm constantly having to clean out the pump and the output nozzle every other week from clogging.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with only needing to replace the impeller. If a new impeller doesn't fix the problem a new skimmer won't either.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamaxx HOB-1 is by far the best HOB skimmer I have owned. Yes its expensive but its far well worth it!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled that plug and ran the supplied cleaning brush through it straight down and even ran the brush from the input end until I could see it through the screw hole.

It just seems as of late I'm constantly having to clean out the pump and the output nozzle every other week from clogging.

I'm confused....was it a mystery what was slowing down the skimmer, or were you actually finding blockages in the pump and/or skimmer and clearing them out?

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused....was it a mystery what was slowing down the skimmer, or were you actually finding blockages in the pump and/or skimmer and clearing them out?

The input of the pump and the output of the spray nozzle are building up with crud. It's picking up everything from detritus to the occasional free floating bubble algae to the calcified worm spirals. I'm just done with it. Right now it's soaking in a 5 gallon bucket of 1:5 vinegar and water.

Even today after brushing out the intake tube, next to no bubbles. My wife and I really believe it might be so calcified in the tube or something got in it and is growing (don't know what could but...)

Next pay I'm just going to order a new skimmer. Again guys ty for the offer to sell yours but I'm looking for brand new with a warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so after my rant, I've talked to the wife and we both agreed to run it with the pump going fully submerged in a bucket for 24 hours with the water/vinegar mix and see what happens tomorrow.

who said this hobby was relaxing...HAH!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's picking up everything from detritus to the occasional free floating bubble algae to the calcified worm spirals. I'm just done with it.

Whatever is causing that rapid of blockage can't be considered normal.

From the sounds of it, it would toast a needlwheel pump too...maybe even quicker. Generally speaking, their air-intakes are notorios for crusting over evern under ordinary tank conditions. Also generally speaking, they are harder to clean out that the AquaC too. I understand your position, but those Remoras are some of the more bullet-proof skimmers that have been made.

Is the pump intake really close to something that's generating all that duff or close to a sandy bottom that it's drawing from or something? Are you Ca and alk numbers really high?

If you can't figure it out, you might consider putting sponge over the skimmer intake or (if you don't already) consider using their overflow attachment:

If you're really dead-set on switching, then I'd suggest one of Tunze's internal, magnetically mounted skimmers...or even one of their Reefpack kits.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the overflow but twice a week I blow off the rocks and the sand some. If the overnight soak works I may turn off the skimmer for an hour or so until the detritus settles and gets sucked into my AC70.

As for my parameters I keep them steady at Alk 8-8.2 dKH, Ca 430-430 ppm and Mag 1250-1280 ppm. I'm following the Red Sea SPS recipe.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the overflow but twice a week I blow off the rocks and the sand some. If the overnight soak works I may turn off the skimmer for an hour or so until the detritus settles and gets sucked into my AC70.

As for my parameters I keep them steady at Alk 8-8.2 dKH, Ca 430-430 ppm and Mag 1250-1280 ppm. I'm following the Red Sea SPS recipe.

That's gotta be the cause....holler back how that change works out! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back