Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who said this hobby was relaxing...HAH!
Someone told you that!!!! :eek:

And you believed them????:rolleyes: :D

I think turning the skimmer off after a cleaning makes sense. My biggest concern is that if one skimmer is clogging it is likely a replacement skimmer will also clog. Hope this works out for you!

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give Jason Kim a call or e-mail. He is the manufacture of the Aqua C ([email protected])
858-689-1121. He has always been very helpful when I have had any situations. He is located in California and can be reached Monday - Friday.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that fixed it. It's foaming like crazy now and I've got the o-ring just barely at the very bottom of the cup. So it looks like these skimmers need a DEEP cleaning every 2-3 years. This one was purchased April 2014.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that fixed it. It's foaming like crazy now and I've got the o-ring just barely at the very bottom of the cup. So it looks like these skimmers need a DEEP cleaning every 2-3 years. This one was purchased April 2014.

Awesome!!! :)

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that didn't fix it for long. I even got a new MJ1200 for it. Is it possible that this year I'm actually doing 2 1/2 gallon water changes a week affecting it? I used to do 5 gallons once a month. Maybe with the weekly water changes, I just don't NEED a skimmer.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that there's just not that much to skim. It's hard to judge from here though. ;) Can you post a video of what the foam looks like?

Is it skimming into the cup at all?

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No foam at all. The bubble line is maybe about 1 inch from the waters surface at most. Almost as if it were placed in fresh water. And I have the o-ring about half way up the collection cup, whereas it used to be below the overfill drain plug.

I try to get a video clip later today.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have fixed it. Took a wooden chop stick and jammed down inside the tube at the venturi spout. Something was lodged in there that apparently wouldn't break down with vinegar or the flimsy brush it comes with for cleaning.

IMG_2622.JPG

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THAT"s what I was talking about with the first re-cleaning advice! Yay!! :) Depending on your tank, sometimes even a piece of shell or even a tiny snail can get caught in there....substantial stuff that a soak isn't going to touch.

Good work – keep us posted if it tries to head south again!!! :) :) :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, it's okay to consider using an intake sponge and/or the surface skimming attachment if this is a problem....some tanks have more of this kind of detritus than other tanks.

OP
OP
AdamNC

AdamNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the pre skimmer on it but things still find a way inside. Found one of my Zebra Turbos and a Hermit Crab in it one time.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer an earlier question, the HOB skimmers that I was considering for a 38 gallon tank were the AquaMaxx HOB-1 and the Reef Octopus (BH-90 or BH-1000). Leaning towards AquaMaxx. I ended up going with a sump containing system.

Glad your skimmer is working!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the pre skimmer on it but things still find a way inside. Found one of my Zebra Turbos and a Hermit Crab in it one time.

You may well be a candidate for a prefilter sponge then. Tiny stuff can still work its way through, but it'll be MUCH LESS....and no large stuff.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back