Need some advice on a lens....

jlt23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a Nikon guy so I can't recommend a specific lens, but I have a 100mm f2.8 macro and I think it's a great focal length for macro shots.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other lens will fit a nikon correct???? I have no clue I'm a camera dummy...
Not worried about the brand name I just want a decent one that's affordable like 4 to 500$ lol

jlt23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct other third party brands (i.e. sigma, tameron, etc) will fit as long as they have the correct mount (i.e. nikon, cannon, etc). I've only been into photography for a year so I'm no expert either. I bought my canon macro right away and have been happy with it. I haven't tried the other brands so I can't recommend any. Good luck.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your camera does not have a motor to auto focus in the body of the camera. This means the lens needs to have a motor to auto focus - these lenses are called AF-S. You could manually focus - it's harder than it sounds! My auto focus work great through the glass. I set the camera to focus on one point and set the point about 1/3rd of the way into what I'm shooting.

The other thing to keep in mind is the effective focal length on your camera. since you have the DX sensor (smaller sensor) , if you buy an FX lens (made for larger sensor), the effective focal length is 1.5X. read more about it here: Nikon DX Format Cameras

nomenclature:

Nikkor Lens Technology

and comparability:

Nikon Lens Compatibility

"the" lens is the Nikor 105mm IF ED AF-S (at close to $900 it's a tough purchase for most folks) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424744-USA/Nikon_2160_105mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html or the grey market version (no warrantee for a $100 less: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/424744-GREY/Nikon_2160_105mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html)

So like yourself, I've been looking to cut the bill in half. You can go used (just make sure you get AF-S!)

there are some other lenses which are good, just not as good as the nikon:

the only two I know of are both around $450:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/341922-USA/Sigma_257306_105mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330643-USA/Tamron_AF272NII_700_SP_AF90mm_f_2_8_Di.html

I'm looking for my 3100 - just haven't decided if I want to wait for the 105mm Nikor or not! enjoy!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the 85 IMO. I also don't like third party lenses for the most part. There are so
E that are good but for the most part most are bad or mad to be cheaper. I know if I'm buying a canon lense I might pay a little more but it's worth it and if I'm buying a L seriouys lens I'm getting the beat they have to offer. Imo and a quick google I think the 85 is better then to have VR and Af is just iceing. I use a canon 100mm L and live it have you ever thought of getting a nikon to canon converter never looked into one but know there out there.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay guys i went there with my heart set on a nikkor 105mm and after talking to the guy at the camera store he recommended the tamron 90mm or the nikkor 85mm f/3.5 after chit chatting and asking him what would he buy he said the nikkor 85mm f/3.5g ed vr..... did i make a wise choice or am i gonna regret it??? he didn't have clue about reef photography but said he would take the nikkor over the tamron which was only 30$ less.....
"wife has my camera" dang it i can't try it out.....

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the lenses you mentioned shoot great pictures. The difference bwtween the tamron di 90mm and the 85mm camera is that the Tamron DI is full frame and the 85mm Nikon is not.

since your camera is not a full frame camera, the two lenses will have notable different focal length effect. For the DX nikon lens 85mm is 85mm. Your cameras sensor is smaller than that of a full frame, as such you will only use a portion of the 90mm - as such the "effect" will be about 135mm which will appear as a "closer" zoom.

if you like to framing of the 85mm then you bought the right lens for what you want to do. If you want more magnification, then the tamron is a better choice.

read here: Nikon DX Lenses

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be hard to get good detailed macro photos with an f/3.5. If you purchased it basically for reef photography I would say that you will have that lens for sale in no time..

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be hard to get good detailed macro photos with an f/3.5. If you purchased it basically for reef photography I would say that you will have that lens for sale in no time..

I'm new to photography, so forgive me if I'm off base here - the F-Stop has nothing to do with macro or detail - it is the focal length divided by the diameter of the pupil - the amount of light that can go through. With Macro shots a low f-stop gives you virtually no depth of field (i.e. a small colony 4" round would only focus one branch of an SPS). I shoot my tank with an F-Stop of 8 to 14 and use a tripod. hand held I will go lower and bump the iso to get faster shutter speeds or go to shutter priority.

am I missing something?

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a canon, but I just ordered my first Macro lens, the Tamron 90mm from Amazon. Plus they have a $50 rebate right now. BH Photo has the same rebate, and probably a few othersites. I also ordered a Tamron 17-50mm for regular photos, since my kit canon lens autofocus died on me. Heard nothing but good things about Tamron plus the price seems right.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shallow depth of field is actually very useful for reef photos. It draws attention to the coral instead of the liverock, frag plug, or anything else that might be in the background. Most macro photography makes use of shallow DOF, and the lens apertures are specifically designed to give a pleasing blurring of the background (bokeh).

troylee, you might use SLRGear.com for reference. They've got a pretty extensive review library, and their reviews also link to to reviews of alternatives with similar focal length. They also have charts w/ sliders that you can play with to get an idea of where the lens is going to perform at its best.

The most popular focal length lens for a cropped sensor seems to be ~100mm (150mm equivalent).. at least that's what I've noticed people using. The Nikkor will be pretty different from the Tamron as blurry noted. Take a few shots and see if it's what you expected. If it doesn't cut it, go back to the store and tell them that it's not the focal length you needed. Also, VR doesn't do much for macro photos when you're on a tripod. I think I read somewhere that VR is recommended to be off during macro photography. Need to look that one up to be sure, but it's not going to be very helpful as you might think for reef photos.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to own one macro lens, I always recommend that it be in the 100-mm range. Your best purchase is always going to be the professional-level lens made for your camera (Nikon, Canon, etc.). However, those lenses can be very expensive. In the case of Canon, it's their L lens. They also used to make, and it's still available, a non-L macro lens, which is superb. It was their only 100-mm macro lens for years. It sounds like Nikon has a similar setup, though I don't pay attention to that brand. If you don't buy the camera-brand lens, there are two third-party lenses that I think are worth considering: the Sigma EX 105 and the Tamron 90. Both are extremely good values and you don't have to search far to see that they both can produce excellent images. The only thing to note is that, when you focus with these lenses, the "snoot" extends. For some that's an issue. I once owned the Sigma and never found it to be a factor. Most of my work is now done with a Sigma EX180.

Autofocus with macro photography is a non-factor. You need to manually focus your images because, more often than not, autofocus will be fooled, particularly with reef photography. However, some type of autofocus is desirable since you can use macro lenses for "regular" photography, too. Remember that autofocus is a relatively new capability in the history of photography. For many years, photographers captured excellent images with manual focus. It's not that hard to do, particularly for macro work. Editorial comment: The word lazy comes to mind.

Depth of field has nothing to do with sharpness, as a general statement. With macro photography, you're more often looking for a lens with the widest range of f stops so you have as much depth of field capability as possible. With closeup/macro work, you're frequently looking for more depth of field, not less. Understanding and controlling depth of field is an entirely different subject that would take days to discuss. Where sharpness and aperture come together is when you discuss lens quality. Professional lenses will be much sharper at both ends of the aperture range than "regular" lenses. You pay for the ability to shoot a lens wide open and have the image be sharp. It's pretty rare that you want to photograph with the aperture closed down because funny things start to happen with light in the lens barrel when you do that.

The most important piece of equipment, when it comes to getting sharp closeup/macro photos, is a tripod. You can't do this type of work well unless you use a tripod. This is proven time and again with just about all of the photos that are posed in the forums. Very few are in focus/sharp.

Hope I've been of help,

Gary

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back