need some advice on hair algae i believe!

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have this hair algae looking thing on my koralia powerheads and my mag5 pump it is not green in color it is brown...........but looks similar to gren hair algae.......

nitrate are at 10
phos is 0 i use weekly brightwells phosphat-E to eliminate trace phosphates in my reef tank.
dkh 10-11
cal 450-60

is this more a sillicate issue?? i use RO water but not RO/DI everytime i scrape it off it just keeps coming back......should i just run a phosban reactor? cause if its not my phos levels the only things i can think of are the silicates, any information will help...

thanks

blackhawk86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be sillicates... but first what size tank, what kind of skimmer do you have (or fuge) and do you overfeed. Not having a big enough skimmer for your tank and bio-load could cause cyno which most mistake for algae but is a bacteria. Overfeeding on top of this situation will make it worse. Can you post a pic?

OP
OP
X

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I feed fish spectrum pellets daily. I have a remorse pro with mag5 pump. I feed corals 3x week. Using coral frenzy or brightwell aa

blackhawk86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the first thing i would try would be to take the effected PHs or pumps and clean them really good with tap water to make sure your not just taking off the visual layer of what you have in your tank and really kill whats on them. second either reduce days of feeding by 1 each a week, or smaller portions of coral and fish food the same amount of days each week and see if that helps. Also a good reactor with some quality carbon or even carbon itself could help. If you have a pic of the algae post it so we can see what your talking about.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back