Need some advice on used purchase

Hanan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I just purchased a used 125 gallon tank that came with a fx6 filter and a diy stand. However I’m a little annoyed by the scratches I’m finding and it’s all my fault but wondering if I still got a good deal. I’m also going to build a nice cabinet stand that is a bit taller. I got everything for $300. Just wanted to get you guys input hopefully some guidance as well.

i attached some pictures to show the setup. I have water in it now because I attempted to clean it as much as I can with white vinegar and a razor blade but the hard water marks on the back are on there. As far as scratches they are pretty deep especially one in the front.

D85320B2-9D67-446C-9ADF-3E8F51121B21.jpeg 22BD6A52-9998-43EB-9280-F88B329187D2.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline algae will eventually cover the back enough so it’s not visible. The scratches on the front (etc.) suck to be sure, but it’s really hard to tell from the image as there’s a lot of reflection. $300 isn’t a bad price - but I’m not the one standing in front of it. Only you can say for certain if you got a fair deal.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the same exact thing. Bought a used 125 from a neighbor, $75. Didn’t realize it is just completely covered in scratches until I got it home. It’s been sitting in my garage for like four months. At some point I’m going to try to buff it with cerium oxide. Nothing to lose really. If it doesn’t work out, idk maybe I’ll put a giant sump in the basement some day. Or keep an illegal piranha in a dimly lit back room.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that’s a great deal for $300. (Provided it holds waters)
A tank, a stand, a pump.
That stand looks real sturdy which is a great sign that the original owner understood the weights it needed to support.
Good deal.
Some rock, some sand, some saltwater, get that cycling.

Btw….I couldn’t see any scratches in the pics.

OP
OP
Hanan

Hanan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the input everyone. yeah the scratches really pop when i add a light which is not here yet but when i hold up my flashlight its impossible not to see and i know its going to be an eyesore.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratches have a nice way of becoming less noticeable with the right combination of water, rock and fish (to draw the eye), background color and lighting. On the other hand, some scratches are so deep or so unfortunately placed that nothing will help. IMO, only creating the exact conditions you will have in the end will let you know.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the input everyone. yeah the scratches really pop when i add a light which is not here yet but when i hold up my flashlight its impossible not to see and i know its going to be an eyesore.
You won’t notice the scratches as much once you fill with water, and the algae will help fill some of them in. I’d be more worried about it holding water long term.
Edit just noticed it is filled, however that stand looks super solid, and the lumber it self is probably worth more then what you paid at this point in time.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell how bad the scratches are, but I'll add that I paid $300 for my used 125g tank by itself. Although mine was reef ready with overflows which yours doesn't seem to be.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tank full when you went to view the tank?

If you didn’t notice them then, you may not notice them when the tank is set up…but saying that, now you know they are there you may look for them, only you know how you are but going from this post, sounds as if you are probably not going to fully enjoy the tank.

The money you will spend filling the tank with water, fish and corals, seems to me the tank will only be a small part of that, I would decide now before you set it up.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid will easily remove any difficult hard water stains. If you're handy you may be able to fill some of the scratches with a windshield chip repair kit. I believe the kits use clear epoxy which should be inert when cured. I think you did good for $300.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back