Need some help with an unhappy "Dermosa" clam

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this 6" "Dermosa" clam for about 4 months with no issues.

A couple months b4 that I implemented incremental AWC, and the tank had never looked better.

In preparation for moving to a new tank, I decided to make sure my parameters were in sync with the tanks and decided to check Phosphate and NItrates (which I never really every check...the tank is 7 plus years old). To my surprise, my phosphates were .87ppm.

Since the tank looked great and had no algae issues, I figured I should investigate slowly lowering my Phosphates in current tank and not shock my corals during the move.

I tried early replacement of my Chemipure Blue and adding macro algae back to the tank. Neither of which impacted phosphates as the macro algae never took hold.

Keeping things slow, I added a phosphate pad to start slowly bringing the number down.

In about 36hrs I went from .87 to .71...but noticed my clam went from fully open to mostly closed.

I removed the phosphate pad 24hrs ago, but the clam has not gone back to being happy.

I'm not sure the phosphate pad is the source of the problem, but there are really no significant changes to the tank.

Parameters look good:
Salinity: 1.024
Ph: 8.05
Temp: 77.7
Alk: 8.2
Calcium: 442
Phosphate: .77
Nitrates: 15

All my other fish and corals are doing fine.

I know people are going to point to Phosphate and Nitrates, but these numbers have probably been steady for a couple years.

Any thoughts?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams, like corals, do the darndest things. Something else may be irritating it. Wait and see and watch... closely.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post picture before and now?
Before:
20200726_172827.jpg

After:
20201217_200251.jpg

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small 13 gal tank...but it gets it water from the primary tank.
I would move him to another tank if you have a choice.
I have a small 13 gal tank...but it gets it water from the primary tank.

What would be the reason to move?

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on vacation for 10 days. Tank has been on automatic. Before I left, I was thinking that the Bella Goby who does a lot a sand sifting was bothering the clam. I'll see where things stand tomorrow when I get home. I hope everything is still living...

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back