Need some help..

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright guys, I've done as much research and as many searches as I can and I am seeing a lot of mixed answers and I have very little knowledge of what I am doing. I bought four sps frags from my lfs as I'm trying to transfer my tank over to sps instead of lps. I bought a red planet frag that had lots of green on entire colony, grown under radion led. The green tells me it was under lower par, the other three all came from a separate tank also under radions. The mother colonies were between 2 and 14 inches below the water line. The pieces are blue millepora, green slimer, and orange passion. I put the red planet towards the top of my tank, first day or so it was fine then I upped my light intensity and it completely browned out. No polyp extension and looked bad, today it is starting to STN and I'm sure I'll lose it. The other three are fine but the milli and green slimer are starting to get brown as well, the only thing still holding color and looking decent is the orange passion.

10g Nuvo Fusion
Kessil 160 set at approx 30% intensity - 12" above water.
Chemipure blue

Nitrates - <2 (red sea)
Phosphate - 0.00 (Hannah)
Calcium - 430
Alk - 8.4
Mag - N/A
Sg - 1.026

Using Fritz salt, tank is kept at 78 degrees. When I saw how low the nutrients were I began dosing Red sea Part A and B as well as feeding reef frenzy eod. I've got two banner cardinals that I feed mysis once a day.

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After two days with reef frenzy, parts A and B along side increased feedings for fish my phosphates as of just now are still at 0.00

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how good is the flow? the po4 is low and you may be stripping it too fast from that little bit of water. are you running an ato? do you test for PH swings? Are you using an auto doser?
I don't think they are getting brown jelly, I don't think they can, if they are its a bacterial infection in the tank and you'll need to dip with an antiseptic..

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No not brown jelly, they are just losing color. Not as bad as the red planet though, flow is good. I have a jabao sw-2 pulsing towards them. Good movement from the polyps that are out. I do use an ATO that keeps salinity stable, I do not test for ph. No auto doser as my weekly water changes have been keeping everything in line.

Rickyb1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a frag of my red planet from when I cut it off the rock and it's higher up in my frag tank !!
481a077004f2d820a0ef8fcb87d6412c.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
22f90a1353aca0b3f66a6be9bce87795.jpg

Red planet is the second brown frag. Milli is more brown than when purchased, and you can see the browning of the slimer.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it strait up could be stress from being moved.
A change in flow is quite literally a change in how they breath.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this cause the red planet to stn

Heck yea.
It's really tough to know imo exactly how health a coral really is by looking. Most folks say oh it's a sudden stn but after talking to them the parameters or flow or whatever has Ben not that great for a while so it's not really all that sudden.

Not sure how long they had be fragged of is maybe they got some glue on them. Its really hard to say all I can see are this pics and parameters.

The rock in the new tank doesn't look new but maybe it's just not settled in yet.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also extremely difficult to keep SPS in a small nano, you have to really stay on top of every parameter including Magnesium. You probably could get away with doing nothing but water changes instead of dosing anything.
For sure, your No3 and Po4 is too low, Feed them bad boys! And stop messing with them. Leave them alone and focus on keeping stable parameters including Light Flow temp and No3

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back