Need some ideas for a DIY nano/pico tank

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was given this 3gal marineland tank and would like to try to use for a nano or pico. I also have some Kessil A160we's and this water distilling jug our chemistry department was throwing away that I thought could be used as an external sump or refugium. So I'm looking for some input and ideas from you all to get me started on my new working-from-home distraction...
13CA45BC-1FF8-4A84-A47C-9920B840FFF1.jpeg

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar pico tank set up in my kitchen. I don't use an fuge nor a sump, just the back compartments.

What are you planning on keeping? That'll help guide recommendations.

OP
OP
Paleozoic_reefer

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Creggers I'm open for anything really. I was mulling over just using it for a planted freshwater tank with shrimp last night but I'm afraid of going down another rabbit-hole if I start to enjoy it! Can you post a pic of pico and your maintenance schedule?

Creggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for delay - For the first few months I was doing weekly water changes which I just recently stopped. Now I just add a little top off water when I see evaporation and check KH/CA once a week.

I don't have any filtration other than a makeshift filter sock I change once a week usually when I test.

I feed the coral whenever I feel like it, the pistol shrimp daily, and keep the light on a 12/12 photo period.

At this point it's set and forget :D I don't have explosive growth but my Zoanthids add about a head a week and my hammer colony which was originally two heads is now three, splitting off a fourth.

IMG-8087.jpg
IMG-8088.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back