Need some opinions - Flow, sand, and anything else...

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Reefer 250
DKH 8.5 (working to get it to 9)
78.5 temp
PO4 .09
NO3 >5
PH 8.3

Roughly 70 pounds of premium wet KPA rock flown up in water to start.

Tank has been up and running since 7/4. My seeded biomedia couldn't handle the ammonia that the high level of die off that took place within the first 12 hours, so after talking with Phillip I dark cured the display for 30 days, on the 31st day started to put pods in the tank, shoot, I must have put over 2 gallons of pods in this tank. To date all that I have battled is diatoms, and I know the last water change I did, I did a 25% without realizing that 2 of my DI resins were spent and lots of silicates flooded my system. There are 4 fish, some inverts and a couple coral just for something to interact with the water.

Like I said I planned to do a bare bottom, and I probably should have stayed the course, but now I have all this sand, 40 pounds, well probably 30 by now, I aggressively vacuum it up with every water change. This weekend I am planning on putting in about 30 frags of acro/montis. But I don't nearly have enough flow. The Nero 5's just don't have enough horse power to really do what is likely needed. However, with the sand it is creating a challenge. Here is what I have to work with. I have 2 Reefwave 45s I could put in this with the Neros. Or, I could pull 2 MP40s from another tank and replace those with the 2 Reefwave 45s. That is a Max 500. I want to have a ton of water movement, or the ability to dial it up as I need. But, the sand is driving me nuts. I am continplating removing 50-70% of it and let it pool in the back 50% of the tank. I know there are still uglies headed this way, but knock on wood, I think it is going "ok". But, I likely just f'd my self. Need some opinions on the flow and should I get uber aggressive with the sand? At this point where I am, nearly 90 days in, is it too late to rip all the sand out and roll the dice? I also have about 10 pounds of ceramic media in the sump that I seeded in my other tank. It's a cope and amphi pod factory down there. Not sure if I should leave all that alone or is it way over kill? How bad will it get if I attempt a bare bottom at this point? Any help, thoughts, opinions are welcomed. I love this hobby as it helps me maintain my sobriety. Thanks for the read.

I also added a Reefermat (pulled it from my other tank as I put a 1200 on that one) and I didn't want to screw around with the sump so I put a 20L down there. To my surprise the chaeto spins (didn't even try) and much more manageable and a fraction of the work. Did multiple power failure tests and plenty of room in that sump. The UV is on, fyi.
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1689.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I should mention, I think I will have to remove the rock in red, might be too much too high and reposition the one in blue.

1695777329616.png
1695777329616.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back