Need some opinions on tank stand

hurley12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't quite finished my current project, but I want some opinions on the stand before I do the finishing touches. Am I asking for trouble with my stand this tall? I guess my main concern is stability, what do you guys think? I am going to add a shelf to put the ATO water on above the sump so that will add some more weight to the structure, but I am still not sure.

Last edited:

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its perfect! I built a stand for my 8g bio cube that was 3 1/2' Had no issues at all and provided for great viewing :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own stand that's 40" tall for my 125g, if it's made sturdy then I don't think you'll have much problem, how much floor flex or sag do you have? Like if you stand in front of the tank does the tank and stand move a little because the floor sags under your weight? Because that may be a little issue.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372423275.036277.jpg

I re-enforced my floor for my 125/135g + 75g sump. It doesn't seem to move at all, I have a 47g column tank about 5ft away from the 125 and it does move a little when I stand in front of it, the tanks are about the same total height, with the stand for the 47g being much lower than the 125g's.

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days it was always recommended to fasten your stand to the wall with a brace; you don't hear that much any more. If I had children in the home and a tall stand with a small footprint I'd probably brace it. Doesn't take much to brace it and it will keep it from tipping.

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days it was always recommended to fasten your stand to the wall with a brace; you don't hear that much any more. If I had children in the home and a tall stand with a small footprint I'd probably brace it. Doesn't take much to brace it and it will keep it from tipping.

+1

It looks like you have a sump so that will help the stand not be so top heavy but brace it, heck my plasma tv reccomends that it be braced to the wall to prevent tipping. It would be pretty easy to brace I would do like an eye bolt? (I think that's what they are called) to a stud then two on the stand and then connect them with a small steel cable, call it good.

OP
OP
H

hurley12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback everybody... Not much sag in the floor, and it is very sturdy stand for no more then it is holding up... I think I am going to anchor it to the wall like Mike J and Saratj1 said just to be safe, thanks guys.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back