Need some reassurance

larrysaltisfun

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2025
Messages
826
Reaction score
496
Location
outer banks NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning people. Previously posted this coral a few months back and asked what this white structure was on the skeleton of my trumpet. Now there are three of them. The thought was they are likely barnacles. I need some reassurance that I don’t need to do anything. This trumpet has really blossomed. Thank you very much for any help.


20260330_080110_25E77C22-E151-478E-B477-40E96FFDA394.png
 
Are you able to get a closer-up photo of it? Somewhat hard to tell what it is.

@ISpeakForTheSeas
 
I would not worry about this at all! Have you seen any issues with your coral because of them?
 
Looks like the little tube filter worms, i have them pop up everywhere, sometimes they can annoy corals by growing right up to their flesh but i wouldn’t worry if it is still opening up well
 
They do look more like worms. Coco worms maybe?
 
Well… if I were so curious, I would “spare” 1 of the 3 for.. science so as to determine the fate of the other 2.
 
Are you able to get a closer-up photo of it? Somewhat hard to tell what it is.

@ISpeakForTheSeas
Look like the large size vermetid snails to me.
I agree - these look like tubes from a large Vermetid snail species to me (and while the pics are a little blurry to say for certain, I think I can see some cephalic tentacles in addition to the visible operculums, which would indicate Vermetids instead of a feather duster of some kind).

I don't recall the larger species causing any problems in tanks that I've seen, so I wouldn't assume they need to be removed. Personally, I would keep them and see how it goes, maybe even see if I can purposefully induce a feeding response from them (though if more start popping up, removal may be wise, as I usually see the larger species singly, not in groups like this).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new