Need suggestions about timing and intensity

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a 32g biocube with the lid removed. I've installed a Kessil A360W-E TUNA BLUE LED (WIDE ANGLE), just copy and pasted that from my order info. I have several different corals in my tank and my question was how intense should I run my light, as in what percentage to run the lights at. And also how many hours a day should I let it run? Is 12 hours a day too much?

I have a chalice, gsp, blastomussa, war coral, acupora, and a scoly in the tank. Along with a small tuxedo urchin.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals will let you know how much is too much and vice versa. As for duration, 12 hours is fine as long as you increase the intensity over time and then once your at full intensity for an hour or so, begin b@cking off again till you ultimately shut them off. You want to try and mimic the sun and it’s effect and pattern over the natural reefs of the world for best results, IMO. I will also try to add some cloud effects patterns by increasing and decreasing light intensities periodically throughout the day.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no issue at 12 hours daily. My tank is that there abouts. I have 4 hours of max intensity in the middle. Initially though, depending on your lighting beforehand, you will need to be sure to acclimate your tank to the light. run it at a lower intensity over the planned photoperiod so as not to shock anything.

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What percentage should I work up to throughout the day? The peak intensity I guess I would call it. Surely not 100% of the lights capabilities.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would have to evaluated and determined by your coral. Placement of the corals in your tank. Lighting intensity (PAR, PUR) values can vary depending on key variables. Turbidity and gelbstoff in particular can play a significant role in terms of how intense and how much light is available to your coral.
If you have a lot of turbidity and/or gelbstoff, you could turn your lights up full and not have close to the available PAR delivered to your tank. On the contrary, if your tank was devoid of any turbidity and/or gelbstoff, you could set your lighting intensity at half and could actually have more PAR available to your coral.
Having said this, you could with proper acclimatization, turn your lights up full for a period of time with no detrimental effects to your coral. Just think how strong the suns rays are in tidal and lagoon zones of our reefs.
Hope this helps

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the kessil on a 32 gallon biocube. It’s a mixed reef. I run for 12 hours with a 2 hour ramp up and down. The light is 11 inches above the water and I ramp up the intensity to 60% with color at 40%. I acclaimed the corals to the light over a month. As you know every tank is different and what works for one tank may not be the best for some else’s. I would just type kessil lighting schedule in the search bar for more schedules. Also you could rent a PAR meter from BRS to get the PAR to what you want it at.

OP
OP
C

Chad Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the kessil on a 32 gallon biocube. It’s a mixed reef. I run for 12 hours with a 2 hour ramp up and down. The light is 11 inches above the water and I ramp up the intensity to 60% with color at 40%. I acclaimed the corals to the light over a month. As you know every tank is different and what works for one tank may not be the best for some else’s. I would just type kessil lighting schedule in the search bar for more schedules. Also you could rent a PAR meter from BRS to get the PAR to what you want it at.
I really appreciate the advice everyone. It has all been beneficial. Any more opinions would also be welcomed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back