Need suggestions for large tank stand

nwpowell0481

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks im in the very beginning stages of my tank upgrade and I need some ideas for building the stand that the tank will sit on.
The tank will be 280Gal and will measure 6ft long x 3ft wide x 2ft tall. From what I am told by the manufacturer the tank will weight approximately 650lbs. That combined with the weight of water, Rock, and sand im looking at about 3000lbs. Im planning on building the stand out of wood and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on design.
Dimension of the stand will be 6ft long x 3ft wide x 3ft tall
Right now im thinking of using 4x4 supports every 1.5ft down the length as well as every 1.5ft front to back. So basically a total of 15 vertical supports. Frame would be 2x6's top and bottom with vertical 2x6 supports every 2ft to allow for the addition of doors to provide access to storage. The sump will be located in the room behind the tank so sump space under the tank is not an issue. I plan on putting 1 inch plywood on the top to allow for compression.
Here are a couple of questions:
Should I use pressure treated lumber or non-treated?
Do I need that many vertical supports or is 15 supports overkill?

Let me know what ya think.

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No 4x4's for verticles-something about how they warp makes them undesirable.

Rocketengineer on one of these sites has a great how to for tank stands.

My 400g uses 3 2x6 top runs, and 2x4's for verticles and bottom run.

Google rocketengineer tank stands and im sure his thread will pop up-its very useful

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back