Need support because I’m about to quit!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your losses :( I recently dealt with something similar. My salinity jumped because my bottle of refractometer calibration solution was tainted.
I hope this doesn't push you from the hobby and only makes you more determined to get back to where you were. We are here for you! :)

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear man, your tank was awesome. I would definitely go to the LFS and say " Hey look, I'll take SOME responsibility for not checking, but I would REALLY appreciate a deal to re-stock my entire tank." I think that's super reasonable

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar happened to me. My Ro/DI water had some sediment in it. I didn't remember ever seeing anything in it before, so I tested it and it was not 0. It wasn't as high as regular salt water, maybe 1.015. I went to the LFS and asked if RO/DI was suppose to be 0 and he said yes. I then gave him back my "RO/DI" water and said, well this wasn't. He was totally panicked. Luckily, his employees had already noticed the issue and had remedied it. There was a reverse suction formed somewhere. I did not use that water, thank goodness, but it taught me to always test water before I add it to my tank. Even if I've tested it before, I test it each time. It's a bit of a hassle, but accidents do happen.

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something similar happened to me. My Ro/DI water had some sediment in it. I didn't remember ever seeing anything in it before, so I tested it and it was not 0. It wasn't as high as regular salt water, maybe 1.015. I went to the LFS and asked if RO/DI was suppose to be 0 and he said yes. I then gave him back my "RO/DI" water and said, well this wasn't. He was totally panicked. Luckily, his employees had already noticed the issue and had remedied it. There was a reverse suction formed somewhere. I did not use that water, thank goodness, but it taught me to always test water before I add it to my tank. Even if I've tested it before, I test it each time. It's a bit of a hassle, but accidents do happen.

Yeah, something could totally go wrong at your LFS without them knowing yet. The other thing is, most LFS have young kids or in general very low wage workers. I am not knocking anyone who doesn't earn a high wage, but they're much more likely not to really care as much about small details. . I wouldn't either at 8/9 dollar hr

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This really stinks! I understand you are upset, but it most likely was an honest mistake. Have you talked to them yet? FYI, you'll be shocked at what coral will come back in 6 weeks.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all thanks for all the words of support. I just reached out and sent them some images of before and after and explained the situation. I will let you all know what they are willing to do if anything.

I certainly understand this kind of thing happens. That's exactly why I can't be too upset with them, but like most said, it would be really nice on their part to help me restock or at least cut me a few deals to get it back up and running. Especially when I know they have some of the pieces I lost. I know I've spent a lot with them on coral etc. I buy every time I go into the store. Hopefully they will take notice of that.

What kind of impact do you think this had on my biological load? Do you think it caused a lot of die off. It wont need to be recycled will it?

It hurts to look at. I feel so bad for the animals. :( I am going to try to give it a go again though. It was by far the most success I have had with a tank and was really looking forward to watching it completely fill out after another year.

Sorry to all those that have gone through similar hard times recently with their tanks. It hits hard for sure! A supportive community really helps! Thanks again!!!

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really stinks! I understand you are upset, but it most likely was an honest mistake. Have you talked to them yet? FYI, you'll be shocked at what coral will come back in 6 weeks.

I just reached out. I will give an update soon. Yeah, I know he didn't mean to do it at all. I'm sure that he is going to be upset that it happened too.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reached out. I will give an update soon. Yeah, I know he didn't mean to do it at all. I'm sure that he is going to be upset that it happened too.
IF LFS's in knoxville are like here in the Greater Nashville area, they will take care of you. So sorry for your losses. Any loss is gutting for sure. Keep us posted, and most importantly, keep trucking! The past often is the best lesson you need for the future! We all hit rough spots, and think about just throwing it all in. Ive had some devastating losses, but i just came off a weekend of putting up a 220 that brought me back to why i love this hobby!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... those pictures are heart-breaking!

If I understand correctly, you went to the LFS looking for RODI water to add to your top off. You provided your own container and they mistakenly filled it with salt water not RODI?

If that is the case, they bear a large part of the responsibility.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad your restarting. I’m sure you will get it rebuilt really beautifully

The moral of the story is no-one will suspect you if you firebomb the shop that sold you the bad water

Awesome
;Jawdrop
upload_2019-3-31_11-33-14.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it was Aquatic Marine, JKS, or Parrot I would expect them to try hard to make it right! I can probably help you get hooked up with some folks that can help you with frags when you figure out what you need to replace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... those pictures are heart-breaking!

If I understand correctly, you went to the LFS looking for RODI water to add to your top off. You provided your own container and they mistakenly filled it with salt water not RODI?

If that is the case, they bear a large part of the responsibility.

That is correct, but I purchased the 5 gallon jug from them that day and it included free saltwater or ro/di with the purchase of the 5 gallon container. I chose RO and he wrote on top of the jug RO and I stuck it under my stand and inserted my ATO pump inside it.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was Aquatic Marine, JKS, or Parrot I would expect them to try hard to make it right! I can probably help you get hooked up with some folks that can help you with frags when you figure out what you need to replace.

It was one of the 3. I don't want to put any store on blast though so I will leave it at that. That is awesome though. I am hoping they will help out in some way.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it all works out. If you have good rapport with the shop, I'm sure they'll do their best to help. Usually people open stores because of the passion for the hobby, not to get rich.

I believe we have that. We have been in there almost weekly for about a year for water or livestock of some sort. They recognize us when we come in.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact jug. Bought it and stuck it under the stand. The writing was from the store employee.

RO jug.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back