Need support because I’m about to quit!

Jimmy Elder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you lose. Hope that this is all the loses you will ever see. It looked like your tank was getting completely filled so now you get to go a new direction with it. Be excited about a new adventure after completing that one. Best of luck on your future.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, you bought the jug, the employee wrote ro, took it and filled it all at once?

Wondering if maybe some mixed salt into the ro holding tank at he shop. If that’s what happened I’m sure the shop will be glad you told them, or maybe someone already has?

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you lose. Hope that this is all the loses you will ever see. It looked like your tank was getting completely filled so now you get to go a new direction with it. Be excited about a new adventure after completing that one. Best of luck on your future.

Thank you very much. I am trying to have a positive outlook of where it can go from here. I have some ideas. :)

twinscrewed XBgmrTag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my nano tank up for over a year and had it fully stocked and exactly how I wanted it. Have been watching it grow out for a long time. I went out of town and before I did I bought some more ato water. The local fish store apparently gave me saltwater instead of ro/di (I should have double checked it) and so it skyrocketed my salinity while I was gone and resulted in a complete loss. It was even marked ro water. I’m talking about 7 inch diameter montiporas, a hammer I’ve had for 9 months, all my fish, rare yellow pistol shrimp, zoas. I’m heartbroken honestly! I’m looking at a tank of death and contemplating quitting the hobby now. What a disaster that could have been avoided. [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

dang MAN, sorry to hear about that. don't lose hope. I have had my tank set up for three years now, and I have nuked it twice. I'm still in process of nursing it back to health, which is why I'm on here tonight. my tank is 175g.. yes I freaking nuked it twice, within about two months of each other.. awful. hang in there. If you can set up your own water changing system, and make your own water, you can knock out that dependency that leads to lax husbandry. My problem started when my Apex went out and I wasn't testing regularly. same thing, Kh spike. good luck. don't give up..

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang MAN, sorry to hear about that. don't lose hope. I have had my tank set up for three years now, and I have nuked it twice. I'm still in process of nursing it back to health, which is why I'm on here tonight. my tank is 175g.. yes I freaking nuked it twice, within about two months of each other.. awful. hang in there. If you can set up your own water changing system, and make your own water, you can knock out that dependency that leads to lax husbandry. My problem started when my Apex went out and I wasn't testing regularly. same thing, Kh spike. good luck. don't give up..

Thanks man! So sorry to hear about yours as well. Just when I was telling myself I finally put together a solid reef tank, this happens >.< Lesson learned the hard way. Will certainly double check everything now.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly how I feel. This guy is very nice to talk to. Last time he cut me a huge piece of pandora protopalys for $15. I was shocked. He has sat and talked to me for 30 minutes + on just a peacock mantis shrimp they had. Super friendly. I feel like the responsibility falls somewhat on me. I should have tested. It wasn't malicious on their part and I'm sure they will be sad about the situation too. I hope they will be willing to cut me a few pieces at a decent price to get me back up and running. I do have one good thing to say, I located one fish that survived. The hifin goby. So I am getting the tank back to the right parameters for this guy!

I am sorry about your recent tank crash :(. Hopefully we will get it up and running again and have an even nicer tank in the future. Hurts now, but like you said, I certainly learned a very tough lesson and hopefully I can improve for the future inhabitants.

You said it. I'm sure it will work out. You're a good customer and seem like an upstanding person, they must know that. I own my own business, and the customer is always right. We'll see if they subscribe to the same (fingers crossed). If I had to guess, most amazing reefers have gone through what we're going through, and they come out the other side. It's a challenging hobby, that's for sure!

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this is absolutely horrible! I can’t imagine how you feel... I’m so sorry.

I hope you are able to contact your LFS to let them know what happened— maybe you can help spare another hobbyist a tragedy like yours. I hope they are willing to help you recoup some of your loss...

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tham121988 I am really sorry to hear that, although I am pretty new to the hobby, the amount of work I have put into my tanks is a lot so I could not imagine the effort you put in with that nano and all the other ones your parents are looking after. Plan on going to med school next year so I understand the effort you put in a class and all we want is the reward of coming back and seeing the effort we put into our tanks! Hope it all works out, VERY interested to see what the LFS does. Good luck!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite heartbreaking and sad to see this thread. I imagine everyone's dealt with similar issues in their own build(s), but I definitely feel the pain of making a stupid mistake that costs a lot - emotionally, financially, etc. I know my thing was not shaking the Nitrate #2 bottle from the API test kit enough (just inverting). For months I thought I had 0 Nitrates when they were creeping up to 100+. Nearly wiped out everything.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your loss:(, I have been to those Lfs and they are all nice caring people. I hope they will make it right for you. I would love to help you out when you’re ready for more corals. I have a couple birds nest and red digi colonies I can give you as well as a couple Acro frags. Message me whenever if you’re interested, I live 15-20 minutes from Knoxville

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back