Need Thoughts - Lanthanum Chloride

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should say, need your "experience stories" with this as well as thoughts ...

BUT ... (and to preface this situation, I have a hanna checker BUT I have to go get it at my storage unit and dig thru tons of junk to find it, so I have not been able to get accurate readings on the phosphate as I lower it)

• I have main DT in which the phosphates got a bit high due to travel and busy work schedule. Affected sps to the point where some were getting browned out. Was getting great growth, BUT not good coloration.
  • I have since added chaeto to the sump, starting dosing and testing and really getting my parameters in check, C- 450 Alk- 9 , as these 2 were not where they should be previously during my travel time
  • Also running a canister filter with GFO as well to slowly drop the phosphate. I have noticed since I started this about 2 weeks ago, color is slowly coming back. BUT still getting some algae growth.
I have started to read up on Lanthanum Chloride and its use in dosing to combat phosphate in the reef tank and HUGE THANKS to Randy Holmes Farley in this forum for posting back with replies as I have read his material and I understand his "slant" to all of this and it is priceless information .. I more or less want to get others experiences in using it and how it worked for them

I DO NOT want to drop the phosphate too fast and cause all the problems that will come with that obviously, but after I get my readings down and it is safe to dose with or use more, I am thinking of incorporating this into my tank.

Have you had good results with using this and also what brand were you using?

Also, as their TV show is TERRIBLE, so I am not sure about using their product -- hahaha - but is this any good and has anyone had success with this stuff from ATM?
http://www.bigalspets.com/agent-green-lanthanum-chloride-phosphate-remover-4-fl-oz.html

Look forward to hearing your experiences with this ...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss the pros and cons of most methods of phosphate reduction, including lanthanum, here:

Phosphate In The Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefedition.com/phosphate-in-the-reef-aquarium-by-randy-holmes-farley/

from it:

Soluble Metals to Bind Phosphate

There are several approaches that add soluble metals to bind and precipitate phosphate. The most popular involves adding lanthanum, which precipitates as lanthanum phosphate and/or lanthanum carbonate (which itself may contain some lanthanum phosphate). The lanthanum approach is widely used in the pool industry to reduce phosphate, and seems to often work well in aquaria. It is also very inexpensive, using products such as Seaklear (make sure it is a pure lanthanum version as mixtures with other metals also exist). Note that this method reduces alkalinity, as removing carbonate and phosphate as a lanthanum precipitate will reduce alkalinity.

One way to use it is to drip is slowly just upstream of a particulate filter to catch and remove a substantial amount of the precipitate that is formed. One drawback to the lanthanum approach is that much of the precipitated material may escape capture and simply settle out in the system somewhere. That may not be an issue, but many aquarists do not prefer to accumulate such material. A second concern is that some people have observed problematic reactions from aquarium inhabitants. While there are not a lot of such stories, it is enough for many aquarists to look for other options.

However, due to its low cost, this approach is especially well suited to outside of the tank operations, such as the removal of excess phosphate from phosphate-contaminated calcium carbonate rock that is later to be added to a reef aquarium.

Soluble iron has also been used in this way, but not nearly so often as lanthanum.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used it long ago. It was a pool brand. Although it worked very well for reducing po4, iirc my sea urchin fell off the glass the instant the lanthanum chloride passed by it. Inalso dont like that it reduces alk.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ATM version, which actually doses exactly the same as the more popular version at a fraction of the cost.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back