Need to add sand to establish tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those last two rip cleans we did, imagine how cloudy they’d be if three bags were unrinsed sand

they’d be destroyed looking vs completely laser clear five hours later, hands down prep rinsing has all the real world work examples.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea special grade is made especially to fit the needs of reef tanks without getting caught in power heads and such. It doesn’t fly as high as other sands.
BTW how much special grade do I need for a 5 feet 150g DT?. For just a tiny half inch depth of sand? Thx...

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of using oolite ages ago. Finest I would use, and am using, is the fiji pink. It takes a while to settle in and not get blown around. If I had to do it again I'd do special grade. I added more sand a few weeks ago. I just poured it in. The cloudiness will go away in a few hours, but you'll probably get diatoms

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add an unrinsed 20 lb bag of Fiji Pink to my tank once every other month and have done so for over a decade. I do this because I remove a great deal of sand weekly when I vacuum clean the sand. When I do this the tank becomes milky white and opaque. The corals love it and within a couple hours the water is crystal clear again. This talk of harming a reef with unrinsed sand is silly. The whole point of "live" sand is the bacteria and secondarily the nutrients in the fine matter that dissolve. Rinsing the sand removes both.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of using oolite ages ago. Finest I would use, and am using, is the fiji pink. It takes a while to settle in and not get blown around. If I had to do it again I'd do special grade. I added more sand a few weeks ago. I just poured it in. The cloudiness will go away in a few hours, but you'll probably get diatoms

debating between Fiji pink and special grade...

Do you think Fiji pink is really pink?
If it doesn't show any pink I'll go with
Special grade I think....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back