Need to downgrade heater

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stupidly bought 100w Jager eiheims for my fluval evo. I've been using it for a few months and use the spare to heat up change water.

It looks horrendous horizontal in my display and I would like to downgrade to the 75 so I can stand it up in my either in the corner of my display or in the attached sump.

My question is, if I calibrate the new 75 w heater in a 5 gal jug will that calibration be accurate when I switch it out in my Fluval Evo. Or will the difference in water volume screw up my calibration.

Ty in advance

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration set the thermometer temperature. It doesn't matter how much water is around it as long the heater is enough to heat the water it is in.

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration set the thermometer temperature. It doesn't matter how much water is around it as long the heater is enough to heat the water it is in.
+1
Are you sure that 75W is needed though? How big is your Evo? I have a 3G with a 7.5W heater which is sufficient in my case, and I had a 10W in a 5G. I had a 50W in a 10g that was in my garage and dealt with huge temp swings.

Whiskey

OP
OP
Glass Algae

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Are you sure that 75W is needed though? How big is your Evo? I have a 3G with a 7.5W heater which is sufficient in my case, and I had a 10W in a 5G. I had a 50W in a 10g that was in my garage and dealt with huge temp swings.

Whiskey

Oh yeah I'm sure I can go down to 50w with the eheims I have had good luck with the larger ones and with how varied the temp is here in Oregon I prefer it have to do less work as it's usually on the chilly side. The 100w is just ridiculous big.

20200801_095526.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back