Need to fast cycle a nem tank

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**UPDATE**. So far so good. Never got any ammonia. Nems look like they're doing great. Acclimating for 2 weeks with lights ramping up from 50%. Nitrates around 5, but PO4 is off the chart (literally - blue tint on hanna phosphorus checker and 200 flashing). I wanted to add my clowns this week, but am going to hold off until I feel they'll be safe.

@Eagle_Steve or anyone else......

Would VERY high PO4 be an issue for the Nems or fish? Will my water changes bring the PO4 to correct levels eventually or should I add some gfo? I hate gfo.....but would hate to lose any of the Nems.
Very high po4 will be a non issue. The next thing to wait on is dinos which will likely come, they will seriously tick off the nems and will likely be the hardest part of this process. I recommend you have a plan in place to deal with them, one that does not include a microscope. Be ready to dose po4, nitrate, and have funds for a UV if you need one.
Dinos have consistently been the only thing that has come close to killing my nems in new tanks.
Clowns should be perfectly fine to add fwiw

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bubblebass PO4 will not be an issue, but I would suggest retesting. If you tested with a Hanna and the water still had some fine silt floating around, this could severely skew the test results. If the PO4 is really that high, I suggest some water changes and possibly some lanthium chloride to bring it down to about somewhere around .1 or a tad lower.

With No3 at about 5 and some PO4 available, you should not have an issue with dinos. Maybe a small bit, but that is easily dealt with.

With this being newly setup, you do need to test often and see where things sit. Also, any corrections need to be done slowly. No more drastic changes, as the setup was a big one to begin with.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bubblebass PO4 will not be an issue, but I would suggest retesting. If you tested with a Hanna and the water still had some fine silt floating around, this could severely skew the test results. If the PO4 is really that high, I suggest some water changes and possibly some lanthium chloride to bring it down to about somewhere around .1 or a tad lower.

With No3 at about 5 and some PO4 available, you should not have an issue with dinos. Maybe a small bit, but that is easily dealt with.

With this being newly setup, you do need to test often and see where things sit. Also, any corrections need to be done slowly. No more drastic changes, as the setup was a big one to begin with.
I have been letting it sit for a week now and tested all levels….WOW. I am surprised anything is alive - talk about everything being off!

Alk 6.4
Calcium 280
Mag 1200
NO3 5
PO4 off charts high

This really goes to show how aquatic life can adapt to anything. Especially nems and softies. All Nems, zoas and leathers are open everyday and look fine. Is lanthium chloride suggested for tanks without a skimmer? I can add a few tbls of gfo in a bag and see how things react for now or just order lanthium chloride and wait for it to arrive if that’s better. I have heard horror stories and never used it before, so want I to be sure.
Why would I get dinos? The ratio of N:p being so far off? I will make sure nitrates don’t drop any lower.

I’m not sure I said it, but I’m not new to reef tanks. This is just a different scenario than I’ve dealt with in the past.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been letting it sit for a week now and tested all levels….WOW. I am surprised anything is alive - talk about everything being off!

Alk 6.4
Calcium 280
Mag 1200
NO3 5
PO4 off charts high

This really goes to show how aquatic life can adapt to anything. Especially nems and softies. All Nems, zoas and leathers are open everyday and look fine. Is lanthium chloride suggested for tanks without a skimmer? I can add a few tbls of gfo in a bag and see how things react for now or just order lanthium chloride and wait for it to arrive if that’s better. I have heard horror stories and never used it before, so want I to be sure.
Why would I get dinos? The ratio of N:p being so far off? I will make sure nitrates don’t drop any lower.

I’m not sure I said it, but I’m not new to reef tanks. This is just a different scenario than I’ve dealt with in the past.
Brainfart on Lanthium. Forgot you had no sump. GFO would work fine, as long as water can slowly pass through it.

As for those numbers. I would suggest some small water changes first. Change out 10-15% or so a day to slowly bring everything back in line. The water changes will correct alk, cal, mag and reduce PO4. You just have to watch nitrates closely while doing this. It will also drop that number.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very high po4 will be a non issue. The next thing to wait on is dinos which will likely come, they will seriously tick off the nems and will likely be the hardest part of this process. I recommend you have a plan in place to deal with them, one that does not include a microscope. Be ready to dose po4, nitrate, and have funds for a UV if you need one.
Dinos have consistently been the only thing that has come close to killing my nems in new tanks.
Clowns should be perfectly fine to add fwiw
The biggest mistake you can make is not to have microscope when it comes to dinos. Most have different treatment and without knowing what you have you are experimenting. You want to be sure you are prepared have a microscope an UV po4 and no3 dosing activated coal and know your source for silicates.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest mistake you can make is not to have microscope when it comes to dinos. Most have different treatment and without knowing what you have you are experimenting. You want to be sure you are prepared have a microscope an UV po4 and no3 dosing activated coal and know your source for silicates.
Yup, I have all of those. Have a great day and don't forget, you get more bees with honey than vinegar :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a handy timed update. can you post a tank shot w animals we were just studying the virtues of quick cycle control on another thread. I like this thread for sure. there are times in life we must get ready quick, it applies to tanking for sure. how do pics look/ability to meet quick demand outcome?

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a handy timed update. can you post a tank shot w animals we were just studying the virtues of quick cycle control on another thread. I like this thread for sure. there are times in life we must get ready quick, it applies to tanking for sure. how do pics look/ability to meet quick demand outcome?
Tomorrow when the lights come on......

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go.....All levels are settled in now except PO4 - the tank the rocks came from was very neglected. I'm going to start a low dose GFO reactor today just so the snails do OK when I get them. Otherwise, it'll be water changes every few weeks and that's all. Low maintenance tank at its finest.

AGAIN with the sideways pics.....I've posted all over and haven't seen why they're doing this.........

Attachments

• tempImageIqYexG.png
    tempImageIqYexG.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImageJ8Dph2.png
    tempImageJ8Dph2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • tempImagegrxeZ1.png
    tempImagegrxeZ1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can truly say those sensitive creatures are liking your skip cycle approach @LRT is this not a candidate for a raw fast quick cycle example

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance to get 30 BTA's at a price that I don't want to pass up. I have a dry JBJ 45 AIO and I think it would be super fun to make a harem for my clowns in my other tank that love to be hosted. I am going to attempt to have the seller hold the BTA's for a week, but he may want to get them out of his possession ASAP. The BTA's are in a healthy tank that's being torn down. The seller does not want to sell the tank.

My plan is to get the 45 setup, add new sand (not sure on the sand), salt water and Bio-Spira along with the clowns. When I get the nems, I will add all of the rock that the nems are on and hope that the hour drive to my house keeps them in good shape. I will be monitoring for ammonia spikes with a test kit and watch for signs of stress to the fish. I can transfer them back to the original tank if needed.

I have other options as well - I'm hoping to hear from the experts on this:

I can NOT add the clowns and use ALL cycled rock and some sand from the sellers tank with the nems (as well as his saltwater). I will by trying to keep it all submerged the whole time in tank water to reduce die off of sponges and such.

If I see any ammonia spike, I could use Prime or do water changes.

Please let me know other opinions or things I am not thinking of.

I know this is the not ideal way to go about this...this is about the 6th tank I've cycled and I know it's a rush job. It is what it is....I just want to give the nems the best chance.
Thank you for any advice!
Your best bet if you want an instant cycle isn't bacteria in a bottle. You need to get cycled media from a safe source, and add fish to the system. That would make it no different then doing a 95%-100% water change on a cycled system. Also throw in two blocks of frozen food in to start immediately producing ammonia for the bacteria.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet if you want an instant cycle isn't bacteria in a bottle. You need to get cycled media from a safe source, and add fish to the system. That would make it no different then doing a 95%-100% water change on a cycled system. Also throw in two blocks of frozen food in to start immediately producing ammonia for the bacteria.
This part is done, my friend. Also…..read the rest of it. I would advise against what you recommended. The cycled media was all the rock they came on. Last thing I wanted was to try and add ammonia.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can truly say those sensitive creatures are liking your skip cycle approach @LRT is this not a candidate for a raw fast quick cycle example
Excellent. Ive been watching this closely. Stayed on the sidelines because I dont do nems (Yet):D
Conventional wisdom says insane and goes against 99% of the advice that would typically be given of WAIT 6 months to a year minimum.
Perfect example the exact opposite and how it can be done and done quite easily.
I'm also seeing thriving.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Eagle Steve said to think of it as a tank transfer instead of a new cycle, it really opened my eyes. I don’t think I would call it skipping the cycle. Just previously cycled. We all know the bacteria isn’t in the water; but on the structure surfaces. So this definitely makes sense.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Eagle Steve said to think of it as a tank transfer instead of a new cycle, it really opened my eyes. I don’t think I would call it skipping the cycle. Just previously cycled. We all know the bacteria isn’t in the water; but on the structure surfaces. So this definitely makes sense.
For sure man. You took fully cured rock from established tank entirely capable of carrying bioload of tank it came out of.
Instastock of transfer tank is probably easiest way to describe it.
Your due diligence of keeping params locked in and stable has helped rock continue to perform like it hasn't missed a beat.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearest pics I’ve seen in seven years, from any camera

Back