Need to start dosing kH and Ca

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12 gallon aquapod that's been set up for a few months now. I've been using Fritz RPM blue box salt. As I've added more and more corals and the coralline algae has started taking off, I've noticed a slow drop in kH and Ca. Previously, I've been just doing 30-40% water changes to keep the kH and Ca up. However, this hasn't quite been enough to keep up with demand. In addition, my nutrients have started to bottom out. I need to ease up on the water changes, probably just reducing their size. It seems that I need to start dosing. My most recent measurements are...

Ca: 380-390 ppm
kH: 6.7

I'm a complete noob at dosing. What products should I look at to raise kH and Ca?

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size you could hand dose. I would just use Purple Up or if you wanted a more budget approach something like Kent marine purple tech. Both of these are crushed up coral so the ratios are sorta pre-mixed from the skeletons of dead coral. That way you don't have to really worry about ionic balance as much as you would with a more complicated dosing system.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank that size i would look at All-For- Reef. It not the cheapest option but in a tank your size wont make much difference and it is about as simple as you can get and includes trace elements.

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use brs 2 part super simple start manually and they have a calculator to know how much to dose. Tank in mind you Don't really have 12 gallons of water after rock and sand more like 7-10 gallons depending on size. Always start with slightly less and you can always increase dose.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back