Need utilitarian fish list! Multiple tangs for 100 gallon?

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 100 gallon display with 60 gallon sump.
1 clown
1 lawnmower blenny
1 leopard wrasse
1 mandarin goby
1 Bangaii cardinal
Usually keep about 15 snails/hermits
1 cleaner shrimp

I haven’t gotten a tang yet because a purple one was been on my wishlist and I was wondering about possibly adding multiple tangs? My dream was to have 1 YT and 1 PT..is this do able?
I am open to any utilitarian fish that will get along with what I have please let me know what you guys have in mind for my 100 gallon lps / softy

7A67116E-59E3-4983-B260-813249E316C8.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R. #WelcometoR2R

Looks like a four foot 100...a touch small for multiple tangs.

I would not do a purple and yellow....they are both Zebrasoma, and the likelihood of fighting in a small tank is high...maybe not at first, but eventually they will start.

If the Tang Police don't see this, how about one Zebrasoma and a Tomini.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R. #WelcometoR2R

Looks like a four foot 100...a touch small for multiple tangs.

I would not do a purple and yellow....they are both Zebrasoma, and the likelihood of fighting in a small tank is high...maybe not at first, but eventually they will start.

If the Tang Police don't see this, how about one Zebrasoma and a Tomini.

Glad to be here and on my very first post!
It is a 5 foot 100 gallon about 20 inches tall
Yeah after doing my research I figured two of the same body type wouldn't workout.. I’d have a better chance with a tomini? I mainly want them for algae control.. not many smaller fish can help me with this issue

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a white tail tang...and like the Tomini, a Bristletooth.....so don't mix them....only pick one. And fyi, another good choice for your tank.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a white tail tang...and like the Tomini, a Bristletooth.....so don't mix them....only pick one. And fyi, another good choice for your tank.

White tail & yellow would have a decent chance ? I’ll introduce them same time and at night keep them well fed and use algae clips on opposite sides of tank

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs: I would pick one, and add it last. One of the bristle tooth genus (Ctenochaetus), including kole, tomini, white tail, truncated,etc would be the best choice. Sometimes tangs in this group and lawnmower type blennies HATE each other. A yellow or purple would be okay too, but I would make it the only tang.

Some folks report success with a group of chromis, but most people are disappointed.

OP
OP
R

Reeferbo619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs: I would pick one, and add it last. One of the bristle tooth genus (Ctenochaetus), including kole, tomini, white tail, truncated,etc would be the best choice. Sometimes tangs in this group and lawnmower type blennies HATE each other. A yellow or purple would be okay too, but I would make it the only tang.

Some folks report success with a group of chromis, but most people are disappointed.

more and more i look into it .. looks like I’ll be having 1 tang. Any other cool reef safe fish that would be compatible with mines?

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are venomous, so be careful if you get one. Their spines are nasty buggers, but they look awesome and are very personable. Sometimes to a fault. Check out the magnificent foxface and foxface lo. They can also change colors to blend into their surroundings pretty well. Took about an hour for me to find mine the day he went in the tank. Found him blending into the rockscape.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Somewhat true.
These guys got together great for a couple of years before I moved and lost my fish to a tank robbery (long story).

I know you didn't ask me, but I've had Yellow and Purple together in two of my tanks. I added both at the same time and never had any problems. YMMV

DSC05872.JPG

If you put both the YT and the PT in at the same time and they're about the same size you might be good. That said you have to be prepared to get a bigger tank at some point (and have a backup tank for one if things don't work out).

I've always had good luck with multiple tangs. I had 4 Zebramosa and an Acanthurus in a Red Sea 750XXL for over 2 years with no problems. Put them all in at the same time and fed well.

Last edited:

Tkiester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 100 gallon display with 60 gallon sump.
1 clown
1 lawnmower blenny
1 leopard wrasse
1 mandarin goby
1 Bangaii cardinal
Usually keep about 15 snails/hermits
1 cleaner shrimp

I haven’t gotten a tang yet because a purple one was been on my wishlist and I was wondering about possibly adding multiple tangs? My dream was to have 1 YT and 1 PT..is this do able?
I am open to any utilitarian fish that will get along with what I have please let me know what you guys have in mind for my 100 gallon lps / softy

7A67116E-59E3-4983-B260-813249E316C8.jpeg
I wanted to add that a lot also depends on how much live rock you have in your tank. I have a 125 mixed reef with 2 yt 1 bt and plan to add a white tail. One yt is dominant but there is always a pecking order. Also have 3 green chromis and have no problem. More rock= more chance for successfully mixing your reef. Good luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back