0   0   0
Need UV light sterilizer recommendations for a 90gal.. Thanks

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I would recommend a 57 watt set up with low flow through it. Fast flow works well for algae. But you need slow flow to kill parasites. Read the manufacturers recommendations as to flow rates and sizing. You want a quality UV with a PVC housing. Some of the budget ones housings deteriorate releasing things you don't want in you tank.

NeptuneSpear2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I would recommend a 57 watt set up with low flow through it. Fast flow works well for algae. But you need slow flow to kill parasites. Read the manufacturers recommendations as to flow rates and sizing. You want a quality UV with a PVC housing. Some of the budget ones housings deteriorate releasing things you don't want in you tank.
Out of curiosity will the UV kill Copepods at this level?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go 57-watt for one reason, heat. I have significant difficulty keeping the water at 78F in a fully air-conditioned space with AC set at 75F, on 90-gal tanks running a 36-watt UV. A lot depends on your cover, sump/filtration etc.

I would look at the heater history if available and see how often your heater(s) cycle in a 4-hour period. If your heater(s) turn on for less than 60-minutes total in a 4-hour span, then you will have a hard time handling the 2-3 degree temp rise from a 36-watt UV running at parasite treatment flow rates. A 57-watt will only be able to run 45-minutes or so every 4-hours or about 4.5 hours every day.

If you're like me and run the AC cool at night for sleeping, you can fudge the numbers using the additional temperature drop at night and run the UV only at night to avoid overheating the tank during the daytime when we typically set the thermostat for Away conditions.

Also be aware that cycling the UV significantly shortens the lamp life, so cutting the ON time in half will not gain you twice the lamp life. In my experience it's about a wash and you'll get a year or so from a lamp that runs 12-on/12-off.

I have and still do run multiple brands of 36-watt UV on 90-gal tanks with clear plastic covers. But I'm limited to 12/24 run times because there's so much less heat loss with a covered tank. The same 4' 90-gal tank uncovered in a 75F maximum room temperature can run 24/24 with a single 200-watt heater being WAY more than is needed (except when the UV bulb fails!).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back