need wavemaker advice.....sand bottom!

JamesThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to get more aggitation thru my display tank, but I have a sand bottom tank with no rock. (the tank divides the kitchen and living room so I really like the clean look of just sand.)
Im thinking a small jaebo cp90? or will any wave maker just create a mess in the caribe sand??
maybe another maker? Im reading the jaebo pumps fail quickly

Last edited:

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id like to get more aggitation thru my display tank, but I have a sand bottom tank with no rock. (the tank divides the kitchen and living room so I really like the clean look of just sand.)
Im thinking a small jaebo cp90? or will any wave maker just create a mess in the caribe sand??
maybe another maker? Im reading the jaebo pumps fail quickly

What kind of sand do you have? If fine grains, then you will have a bit of a sand storm. Larger grain size won’t cause that issue but you may see sand moving over time.

Special grade CaribSea is my preferred choice and won’t get blown all over.

Jebao pumps are fine, I’ve had some run over a year without issues but yes they can fail. That said they’re so cheap that buying 2 is cheap enough.

Hydor koralia are excellent quality wavemakers and cheap too.

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re looking for a gyre pump and only plan on using 1 then I would recommend the icecap gyre 3k over the Jebao one. I know it’s a bit more pricey but it’ll outlast the Jebao hands down

OP
OP
JamesThomas

JamesThomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a toss up between cost and quality I guess. My sand is very fine grain. Im even thinking I should get something coarser to pour over top.....FINALLY have clear water and dont want a permanent sandcloud

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back