Need words of support and help

ambuncher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna start by saying if you only want to comment something rude, I do not need your negativity.

Life has been hard recently, and I’ve been having a lot of mental health struggles. As such, my time and ability to maintain my tank has severely declined. I have a huge green hair algae outbreak, haven’t tested the water in weeks, and have paid minimal attention to my auto doser. I don’t always even remember to feed my fish. Luckily I’ve been able to do enough to avoid any major losses.

Trying to get the tank back on track, I have a lot of large floating chunks of algae and just crap. I have more salt coming in a few days (my last box got ruined by water) And will try and do some water changes. Is there anything else I can do to try and get these floaties out? I have a filter sock that I change when I can, and a skimmer. Algae is growing like crazy. I did get an algae blenny yesterday and he’s already eating.

Just been having a really tough time, and sometimes this tank has quite literally saved my life. When I’ve wanted to end it all, I’ve hung on for the sake of the inhabitants of my tank needing me. I have a great mental health professionals team, it just takes time.

Any words of encouragement and advice are appreciated. And ‘lazy’ ways of getting the tank even marginally better are appreciated.

Thank you for reading. Heres a photo I took of my mandarin dragonet a few months ago when my tank was doing better.

IMG_5934.jpeg

trentj3232

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I'm currently experiencing something similar. I've had to pick up 2 jobs to pick up the slack of my lazy partner, and I feel like I am currently neglecting in a way. If you can maybe give just 10 minutes a day to your tank, you will probably be able to handle most things. At the end of the day, when I get off after working 15 hours, staring at my tank brings me peace that no one else can offer.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just gonna start by saying if you only want to comment something rude, I do not need your negativity.

Life has been hard recently, and I’ve been having a lot of mental health struggles. As such, my time and ability to maintain my tank has severely declined. I have a huge green hair algae outbreak, haven’t tested the water in weeks, and have paid minimal attention to my auto doser. I don’t always even remember to feed my fish. Luckily I’ve been able to do enough to avoid any major losses.

Trying to get the tank back on track, I have a lot of large floating chunks of algae and just crap. I have more salt coming in a few days (my last box got ruined by water) And will try and do some water changes. Is there anything else I can do to try and get these floaties out? I have a filter sock that I change when I can, and a skimmer. Algae is growing like crazy. I did get an algae blenny yesterday and he’s already eating.

Just been having a really tough time, and sometimes this tank has quite literally saved my life. When I’ve wanted to end it all, I’ve hung on for the sake of the inhabitants of my tank needing me. I have a great mental health professionals team, it just takes time.

Any words of encouragement and advice are appreciated. And ‘lazy’ ways of getting the tank even marginally better are appreciated.

Thank you for reading. Heres a photo I took of my mandarin dragonet a few months ago when my tank was doing better.

IMG_5934.jpeg
Those green hairy mushrooms are beautiful. We all have tough times sometimes, and it bleeds into all aspects of our lives including tank husbandry. Do what you can and things will slowly shift where you want them. If that's how pretty your fish and coral look when you're having a tough time imagine how good they'll look once you've move past all this and get back into your groove :)

Marquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks have been the only reason I've gotten out of bed some days. Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time. I hope things get better for you soon! Glad you have a great team around you, that's exactly what saved me.

There's no reason to have to start big or expensive. Start small, check levels, and pick something you want to change.

Water changes sound like what you need first. I know they can be a bit of a chore but imagine how accomplished you'll feel when you get one done.

If that sounds like too much of a struggle right now at least try to check a few levels like nitrates and see if they're bad. If the levels are off, post what they are and the community can help suggest some products or chemicals that could be as simple as needing to pour some mL in per day.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins, snails, and hermits love to eat algae.

Take care of yourself first, and spend just a few minutes a day on the tank if you can and pick out some algae. I think we've all been there and this Society sometimes drags everybody down. I hope you're doing better soon, take care my friend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back