Need your opinion on switching salt to save $

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again not even remotely scientific. Might want to read before posting a google hit.

And again, no one knows what the brown crud is. Could be clay, sure, could be monkey feces for all we know.

So your google link means nothing.

Like I said, you don't like the salt, thats fine. But do not say it will negatively effect your tank when that is just plain false information.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me 100's of posts about tanks crashing from IO. I can't find any myself.
Did I say a single thing about a tank crashing from io no stop putting words in my mouth

I said clay is bad for a reef tank and io has alot of it

I did not say anything about clay causing a tank crash only that it can negatively effect a reef tank so why chance it

If you want to risk your livestock go for it I'll pass on saving money at the expense of the critters I care for

But stop comming on here just to attack someone and add nothing positive to the conversation

And stop putting words in my mouth

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again not even remotely scientific. Might want to read before posting a google hit.

And again, no one knows what the brown crud is. Could be clay, sure, could be monkey feces for all we know.

So your google link means nothing.

Like I said, you don't like the salt, thats fine. But do not say it will negatively effect your tank when that is just plain false information.
Obviously you did not read a thing

The scientists commenced experiments in Sarasota Bay, with help from Mote, spraying the clay in small areas to see what impact it would have. But then, Anderson said, "we ran into a buzz saw of environmental opposition. People did not want this dumped into the ocean."

Experiments showed the toxic algae wasn't the only thing affected by the clay. One experiment found "significant negative impacts of clay on filtration" on filter-feeding bivalves such as scallops, clams and other crustaceans. The cure seemed as bad as the disease.

Faced with so much opposition, Woods Hole and Mote ended their experiments, he said, but Chinese scientists pushed on. In recent years they have developed what he called "a super-pure clay" that they combine with a polymer that gives the particles a positive charge.

From article short version

Those are the scientists performing the experiments

So how exactly is this not scientific

Hmmm experiment designed by a scientist performed by a scientist coping another scientist

But yet this is not scientific according to you

Mabey you should read the entire article before you say anything

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok show me hundreds of post about people tanks being negatively effected(your exact words) by the supposed clay in IO then.

I can't find them either.

Your link shows one kind of clay has a negative impact, ONE KIND OF CLAY...... Now show me scientific evidence it is clay in IO, and the clay in it, is the same one in your link.

Then I will believe you, switch salt, proclaim IO is garbage, burn the plant to the ground, and retract any statement I have ever made about IO being OK.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you did not read a thing

The scientists commenced experiments in Sarasota Bay, with help from Mote, spraying the clay in small areas to see what impact it would have. But then, Anderson said, "we ran into a buzz saw of environmental opposition. People did not want this dumped into the ocean."

Faced with so much opposition, Woods Hole and Mote ended their experiments, he said, but Chinese scientists pushed on. In recent years they have developed what he called "a super-pure clay" that they combine with a polymer that gives the particles a positive charge.

Those are the scientists performing the experiments

So how exactly is this not scientific

Hmmm experiment designed by a scientist performed by a scientist coping another scientist

But yet this is not scientific according to you

Mabey you should read the entire article before you say anything
Are you really that thick? How do we know it's clay in IO? I have never read or even heard it is clay. I have seen it MAY BE clay, but no one has actual proof it is clay.

And AGAIN ONE TYPE OF CLAY, and later down the road some scientists added POLYMERS TO THAT SPECIFIC CLAY.

100% Positive that that clay is not in IO.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok show me hundreds of post about people tanks being negatively effected(your exact words) by the supposed clay in IO then.

I can't find them either.

Your link shows one kind of clay has a negative impact, ONE KIND OF CLAY...... Now show me scientific evidence it is clay in IO, and the clay in it, is the same one in your link.

Then I will believe you, switch salt, proclaim IO is garbage, burn the plant to the ground, and retract any statement I have ever made about IO being OK.
No I'm done belive whatever you will

Iv already showed more then enoff on this and you go bother someone else and try and stir up truble there

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm done belive whatever you will

Iv already showed more then enoff on this and you go bother someone else and try and stir up truble there

Still haven't even shown me proof it's clay in IO. You supposedly had it tested in a lab, so show me the proof.

LOL one link for a specific clay product they used experimentally in the ocean to clean up red tide is proof enough to never use IO.

Try telling that to the hundreds of public aquariums, and research facilities that use IO

Not stirring up trouble. pointing out false claims and pure BS. If it's BS, I'm calling someone out on it, plain and simple.

Like most people, when proof cannot be posted, they run off saying they have shown enough proof.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you really that thick? How do we know it's clay in IO? I have never read or even heard it is clay. I have seen it MAY BE clay, but no one has actual proof it is clay.

I wouldnt trust using instant ocean it seemed to give my tanks all simular problems regardless of how the bag was when i bought it. I have since changed salt and use tropic marine the difference is day and night. It doesnt leave flakes or residue and everything seems to respond better to that salt than instant ocean. I think that its because it is pharmaceutical grade salt which is way finer and desolves way better

Just posted and the same exact thing I witnessed when I switched along with 100s of others

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brstv made a video about which salt is the best to use for best results and ease of mixing. I believe they said Tropic Marine was the best for a couple reasons.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brstv made a video about which salt is the best to use for best results and ease of mixing. I believe they said Tropic Marine was the best for a couple reasons.
Ok lets get one thing straight here.

BRS is a company out to make money, same as your LFS. We all know LFS's lie to make a sale, you think BRS wouldn't? Ever wonder why BRS doesn't carry certain products? Probably because the profit margin is not there.

Lets just say for the sake of arguments.....

a $24 box of IO only nets them $4 worth of profit(I have no idea what the profit margin on salt is, just making up numbers for arguments sake). A $100 pail of TM nets them $10 in profit. Guess which salt they will push as the best?

I'm not doubting TM mixes clear and fast, thats not the debate. I've used it in the past myself.

The debate is whether IO has negative effects on a tank. Which is just plain BS.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok lets get one thing straight here.

BRS is a company out to make money, same as your LFS. We all know LFS's lie to make a sale, you think BRS wouldn't? Ever wonder why BRS doesn't carry certain products? Probably because the profit margin is not there.

Lets just say for the sake of arguments.....

a $24 box of IO only nets them $4 worth of profit(I have no idea what the profit margin on salt is, just making up numbers for arguments sake). A $100 pail of TM nets them $10 in profit. Guess which salt they will push as the best?

I'm not doubting TM mixes clear and fast, thats not the debate. I've used it in the past myself.

The debate is whether IO has negative effects on a tank. Which is just plain BS.
Thats understandable why that they would push for it instead of any other on top of that but i also did seem to have good results for me and my systems

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, salt is salt. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the batch.

The salt you choose will not determine how your corals grow, or how your tank behaves.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been deciding on switching from tmpr salt to something cheaper, but I do have a few characteristics I look for in a salt.

First, I like my salt to be lower dkh so that when I do large water changes my levels don’t swing all over the place. I use water changes to refresh system and I generally like to do a lot!
Second, I’m looking for clean salt that won’t foul my mixing pump over time! Generally speaking if the bins clean, the pumps clean too! I understand the cost savings will add up to, I can buy a new pump, switch it out and still have residual funds to see savings.
Third, I don’t want to doctor any of it up, if alk too high add acid, etc. I just don’t want to deal with any of the headaches of changing anything and the human error that may be involved with the process. This implies I don’t want to change mixing pump out also if it fails.
There is so much in this hobby I have to have my mind on and one less thing makes tmpr sound so appealing, other than my pocketbook.

I mix up 110gallons worth and change all 110 gallons a week. So roughly 25% or more a week.

Does anyone have any ideas what salt other than TMPR that has these qualities?
I was shooting for Fritz or live aquaria, but I’d rather hear y’all’s thoughts before I go and buy $4-500 worth of material.
You can get Reef Crystals for about $40 a bucket on Amazon. Ive used I/O and reef crystals for over 20 years, if you like the low DKh, just use Purple box, which is even cheaper, and boost the Mg, or just dose Mg based on test results once per month.

Im sure you will get a lot of opinions who follow the mullet god for more expensive salt, but all salt does the same thing. Any opinions on what is the best salt has the same objective validity as what is the best flavored ice cream.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats understandable why that they would push for it instead of any other on top of that but i also did seem to have good results for me and my systems
I get great reaults from a Tripple Chicolate ice cream. It has chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup and chocolate chips. Thats why its the best.

That is the same scientific method used thus far to decide what is the best salt.

Oh, and you have to wear a ball cap when you present your data.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding to the prior post, TM is in the middle of investigating multiple reports of issues from users seeing their salt mix brown (from German and Turkish batches), TM acknowledging some clay-like material, reports of coral issues, and TM voluntarily replacing Turkish-made salt buckets. I’ve been a user to TM for 3+ years but can’t justify the cost and quality concerns to pay such a premium any more. I found this thread very helpful and am starting a switch to Red Sea Blue bucket.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt know about that thanks for the advice i will look into that matter

Back