Need your pump opinions!

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up an I.M. EXT 100 and trying to decide on which wavemakers/pumps to use for a 48"X24" tank. I'm looking at the new IceCap 2K with dual wifi controller and wondering if 1 will do the job or if I need two pumps at either ends of the tank or if one would be better with maybe a Nero5 or something to mix up the flow pattern.
Also, I've read some very good reviews on the Jaboa scp-120, which puts out twice the gph at half the price.
I won't pay the prices asked for MP's or higher end gyres, they just seem extremely over priced for aquarium pumps.
I plan on a mixed reef, heavy on the sps from top down and a good mix of LPS and softy/zoa's from the midway down.
Any ideas you might have, on this topic, are welcome.

Kacey

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kacey, I'm right there with you on the high price pumps. I just don't think they are worth the extra.

I'd go with at least 2 wavemakers. I have a 90g tank (36x30x20) and I have 900gph of flow from my return pump out of 4 Loc-line nozzles. I have 2 Jebao wave makers on the back glass, either side of the weir overflow and one Coral Box wavemaker on the side glass.

IMHO very random flow is the best thing you can do in terms of flow for an aquarium.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ron, I agree I'll need alot of random flow. Especially going heavy on the acros and sps on the top half of the tank. I'm hoping someone who has used these gyre pumps will chime in with some feedback on which, 2K or 4K, Ice Cap for a 48"L 100g, and Ice Cap vs Jabao etc, I would get two IceCap gyres to take advantage of the dual controler, which is part of the reason I'm thinking the 2K could be enough. I'd also add some impeller type wavemakers to create some random whirls and eddies throughout the tank. A couple of Random flow generators on the return lines and I should be good to go.
On one hand it's probably better to oversize the pump and run it at 50% +/- which should give me longer life and less wear on the pump. But, if the 2K's would give me that there's no point in going bigger.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what you are saying. And I've only had experience with Jebao and Maxspect gyres. I was unhappy with both. They move a boatload of water, for sure. But the seem to need serious cleaning more often and they can be tricky to take apart and put back together so they run well. The motors have very little torque and a minor misalignment of the ends can cause the pump to run poorly... if at all.

OP
OP
K

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear what you are saying. And I've only had experience with Jebao and Maxspect gyres. I was unhappy with both. They move a boatload of water, for sure. But the seem to need serious cleaning more often and they can be tricky to take apart and put back together so they run well. The motors have very little torque and a minor misalignment of the ends can cause the pump to run poorly... if at all.
I have read many reviews that say the same thing. Makes me wonder if I really want a gyre type pump at all. Some people like to fiddle with their equipment or at least don't mind doing it frequently. I would rather set it up and leave it alone for 6 months.
Thanks for the input. Def gives me something to think about. Maybe the Nero5 would be a better choice for me?

Back