Needing advice for a new tank / tank switch

Lorinxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, thanks in advance for any and all advice. Here's my situation. I've got a well established tank now, 80 gallon with 20 gallon sump. Maybe 80 lb of live rock if I had to guess. I've had this tank since 2016, at which time I had 2 clowns, a goby, blenny, flamehawk, and shrimp. Now I'm down to several snails/crabs, 1 starfish, 2 urchins, a sharpnose puffer fish and one clown fish. No corals. My other clown died about 1 month ago. The thing is - my tank is HUGE. Like the actual setup, the stand and all is just massive. I'm really ready to downsize, and I'm thinking about doing something more like a 45-50 gallon... and tall rather than wide. From what I've read, the puffer is fine in anything 40 gal and above... so my plan is to set up the new tank with new sand, and slowly move some of my current live rock into the new tank. Once it's been running for a week or so and the paramaters match my current tank, I was going to start moving the snails and crabs. I figured I'd leave the urchins for last since they'll need algae/etc. (which is the reason why I got them)... my end goal is to one day eventually turn this new tank into a seahorse tank.

I'd just like some thoughts/opinions/comments/advice/etc.

Thank you everyone!!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you plan with respect to livestock: corals, fish, inverts?

your game plan is fine. Sea horses are messy eaters, consider a reverse flow undergravel filter for nutrient management

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back