Needing help with ID... bacterial? ick?

mariaharris225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I posted a couple of days ago when one of my clownfish suddenly began lying on the sandbed, falling sideways and gasping. With the help of some people on this forum+my lfs owner, we decided on internal parasites, and I began medicating metroplex with food at the suggestion of my lfs. However, after speaking to the store owner, I began to feel as though he was being dishonest and dodgy (my two clowns came from him), so I decided to inspect all of my fish closer under white light and noticed some discoloration on both of my clownfish and am concerned. Both seem to have red undertones to their skin, and I'm seeing possible white spots on the mocha. I don't want to make something out of nothing, but if anyone knows what could be going on I would appreciate help with a diagnosis/ treatment recommendations.

Additionally, as of right now, I've just set up a QT tank tonight (senior in college who didn't want to get an additional tank to move it so soon... jokes on me lol). It's my first QT so I added new saltwater with a tad of old tank water and some c-rings from the main tank. As of right now, my sick clown is in an acclimation box in a plastic bag to isolate it from the rest of the tank (desperate times + finals week) and an airstone and seemed to be improving but I'm not really sure (he still eating, and breathing seem to be improving). I'm scared to move him to a newly establish tank and kill him of stress, but also am not sure how long he can last in an acclimation box. my lfs said I could just let him out with the other fish but that feels iffy + I think the cuc would get him. I also don't know if I need to quartine all the livestock. If anyone knows how I should proceed I would appreciate it, I don't want to lose one fish much less an entire tank.

Livestock:
watchmen goby
orchid dottyback
2 clownfish
cleaner shrimp

Parameters: recently tested at lfs, all within normal range with slightly low alk IMG_4459 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4458.mov
    36.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello! I posted a couple of days ago when one of my clownfish suddenly began lying on the sandbed, falling sideways and gasping. With the help of some people on this forum+my lfs owner, we decided on internal parasites, and I began medicating metroplex with food at the suggestion of my lfs. However, after speaking to the store owner, I began to feel as though he was being dishonest and dodgy (my two clowns came from him), so I decided to inspect all of my fish closer under white light and noticed some discoloration on both of my clownfish and am concerned. Both seem to have red undertones to their skin, and I'm seeing possible white spots on the mocha. I don't want to make something out of nothing, but if anyone knows what could be going on I would appreciate help with a diagnosis/ treatment recommendations.

Additionally, as of right now, I've just set up a QT tank tonight (senior in college who didn't want to get an additional tank to move it so soon... jokes on me lol). It's my first QT so I added new saltwater with a tad of old tank water and some c-rings from the main tank. As of right now, my sick clown is in an acclimation box in a plastic bag to isolate it from the rest of the tank (desperate times + finals week) and an airstone and seemed to be improving but I'm not really sure (he still eating, and breathing seem to be improving). I'm scared to move him to a newly establish tank and kill him of stress, but also am not sure how long he can last in an acclimation box. my lfs said I could just let him out with the other fish but that feels iffy + I think the cuc would get him. I also don't know if I need to quartine all the livestock. If anyone knows how I should proceed I would appreciate it, I don't want to lose one fish much less an entire tank.

Livestock:
watchmen goby
orchid dottyback
2 clownfish
cleaner shrimp

Parameters: recently tested at lfs, all within normal range with slightly low alk IMG_4459 2.jpg
I had to go frame by frame as there was a bit of shimmer but it appears to be brooklynella. Fish looks quite active to be ruled as totally involved with brook.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. While noy heavy, the thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Livestock:
watchmen goby
orchid dottyback
2 clownfish
cleaner shrimp

Sorry, not clear enough for me to see enough to make a diagnosis....and then, not every fish issue is visually identifiable. The red undertones on both clowns are commonly seen in clowns with lots of white areas, not sure what it means, it may just be a sign of general irritation, or nothing at all.

If the clown in iso is feeding well, you could consider keeping it there for now. It seems kind of frantic though, not sure if that was a reaction to your presence while filming?

Jay

OP
OP
M

mariaharris225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, not clear enough for me to see enough to make a diagnosis....and then, not every fish issue is visually identifiable. The red undertones on both clowns are commonly seen in clowns with lots of white areas, not sure what it means, it may just be a sign of general irritation, or nothing at all.

If the clown in iso is feeding well, you could consider keeping it there for now. It seems kind of frantic though, not sure if that was a reaction to your presence while filming?

Jay
Is there any way for me to take a better photo that would be clearer? maybe a change of light or angle? and I do believe that was his reaction, but he does seem to have random stints of feeling normal before returning to floor and breathing hard

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way for me to take a better photo that would be clearer? maybe a change of light or angle? and I do believe that was his reaction, but he does seem to have random stints of feeling normal before returning to floor and breathing hard
I struggle to get good fish photos myself, and I’ve done it professionally!

White lights and a fast shutter speed work best. Sometimes, people try to get too close, beyond the minimum focal point for the lens.

In some cases, a good cell phone can capture video that gives clearer results.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back