Nems changing color?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 4 of my anemone, 2 rose and 2 rainbow are all showing more green than they used to. What can this be attributed to?
@F i s h y @OrionN @Eagle_Steve

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found a strong relationship between more greens in several environments, lighting can often be attributed to this. Under lower lighting they will often become lighter, or more translucent which shows off the greens better than the reds.
Lower flow in certain areas can also change the way they look, but this is often more of just what our eyes are seeing in comparison to actual changes in their color.
Cleaner water also can have a big affect different colorations, I have several of the same (came from the same mother 15 or so yrs ago) rainbow anemones in a smaller tank with extremely high nutrients and much dirtier water and after about 2 years they no longer have ANY greens, they are a darker red. All of these changes in color are often subtle and do not occur overnight but over time changes can definitely be seen. It is not uncommon for an anemone to look completely different from the initial piece you purchased after one year.
I am fairly certain at this point there is much less difference between Rose bubble tip anemones and rainbow bubble tip anemones than we are lead to believe, as they often look very different overtime once exposed to different environments.
One other thing, running higher whites certainly has an affect on coloration, colors often pop a little bit more, and become a bit deeper under a higher than standard white channel.

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found a strong relationship between more greens in several environments, lighting can often be attributed to this. Under lower lighting they will often become lighter, or more translucent which shows off the greens better than the reds.
Lower flow in certain areas can also change the way they look, but this is often more of just what our eyes are seeing in comparison to actual changes in their color.
Cleaner water also can have a big affect different colorations, I have several of the same (came from the same mother 15 or so yrs ago) rainbow anemones in a smaller tank with extremely high nutrients and much dirtier water and after about 2 years they no longer have ANY greens, they are a darker red. All of these changes in color are often subtle and do not occur overnight but over time changes can definitely be seen. It is not uncommon for an anemone to look completely different from the initial piece you purchased after one year.
I am fairly certain at this point there is much less difference between Rose bubble tip anemones and rainbow bubble tip anemones than we are lead to believe, as they often look very different overtime once exposed to different environments.
One other thing, running higher whites certainly has an affect on coloration, colors often pop a little bit more, and become a bit deeper under a higher than standard white channel.
@Jekyl I agree with this. Nutrients and spectrum for sure are the major contributing factors.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jekyl I agree with this. Nutrients and spectrum for sure are the major contributing factors.
I have been doing a better job as of late of keeping parameters in a stricter range. The rose I have had for around 2 years and the color change is a new thing. Seems like all of my nems are a deeper color with more green than before.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back