Neon Blue Cleaner Goby Ich?

eric1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I got a neon blue cleaner goby about 2 weeks ago, and noticed some white dots on it, and am pretty certain it is ich. I tried a freshwater dip, and have been monitoring it but it seems to slowly progress. It is in a 5 gallon (cycled) quarantine tank, with an orchid dottyback, which has no signs of any disease. There is also a hermit crab and peppermint shrimp in the quarantine tank, both of which also seem fine.

Given that this is already my quarantine tank (and I would ideally like to avoid a second quarantine/hospital tank), how do you recommend treating the ich? I don't want to use any copper medications because of the shrimp and crab in the tank.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I got a neon blue cleaner goby about 2 weeks ago, and noticed some white dots on it, and am pretty certain it is ich. I tried a freshwater dip, and have been monitoring it but it seems to slowly progress. It is in a 5 gallon (cycled) quarantine tank, with an orchid dottyback, which has no signs of any disease. There is also a hermit crab and peppermint shrimp in the quarantine tank, both of which also seem fine.

Given that this is already my quarantine tank (and I would ideally like to avoid a second quarantine/hospital tank), how do you recommend treating the ich? I don't want to use any copper medications because of the shrimp and crab in the tank.

Thanks!
While it can also be sand, posting a pic or two under white lighting will best help with assessment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eric1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's two pictures of it

IMG_1495.jpg IMG_1396.jpg

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Ich can look like that on neon gobies, I’d say that is it.

The two best ich treatments are copper or hyposalinity, but neither of those treatments can be done with invertebrates in the tank.
Jay

Upvote 0

Bennett_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Ich can look like that on neon gobies, I’d say that is it.

The two best ich treatments are copper or hyposalinity, but neither of those treatments can be done with invertebrates in the tank.
Jay
Here's two pictures of it

IMG_1495.jpg IMG_1396.jpg
I just got a neon goby a week ago and he also has spots exactly like this!!! What did you do to help him?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a neon goby a week ago and he also has spots exactly like this!!! What did you do to help him?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you have a treatment tank available - or at least a tank with no invertebrates in it? You’ll need that for an effective treatment.
What other fish are in with your goby?
Any spots on those?
Can you post a picture?

Jay

Upvote 0

Bennett_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Do you have a treatment tank available - or at least a tank with no invertebrates in it? You’ll need that for an effective treatment.
What other fish are in with your goby?
Any spots on those?
Can you post a picture?

Jay
I do have another tank it's about 1 gallon without a filter heater or anything how long would treatment need to last?

Upvote 0

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you put a gallon Jar in your Quarantine Aquarium. Bubble a little air in it and Copper Treat the Goby that way?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have another tank it's about 1 gallon without a filter heater or anything how long would treatment need to last?

Well, both hyposalinity or copper treatments need to run for 30 days, so that won't work I'm afraid.

Jay

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic was tested and found to reduce ich in some cases, but only by a small percent, it won’t actually cure an infection. At high doses it can be toxic. The active ingredient is allicin (spelling?)
Jay

Upvote 0

Bennett_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic was tested and found to reduce ich in some cases, but only by a small percent, it won’t actually cure an infection. At high doses it can be toxic. The active ingredient is allicin (spelling?) Jay

Garlic was tested and found to reduce ich in some cases, but only by a small percent, it won’t actually cure an infection. At high doses it can be toxic. The active ingredient is allicin (spelling?)
Jay
Ok what would you recommend? this is my first fish with ich after a year and some in the hobby

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what would you recommend? this is my first fish with ich after a year and some in the hobby
Can you post a clear picture? I want to try and confirm the diagnosis.

Unfortunately, the two best cures are what I mentioned - copper or hyposalinity in a treatment tank. Most other treatments fail.

Jay

Upvote 0

Bennett_Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a clear picture? I want to try and confirm the diagnosis.

Unfortunately, the two best cures are what I mentioned - copper or hyposalinity in a treatment tank. Most other treatments fail.

Jay
Ok right now he's hidden in the rocks on sleeping I will try in the morning. If it doesn't go away I'm going to try to find someone who will take him with a qt tank

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back