Neon Maze Coral

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Neon Maze Coral too hard for beginners?

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the system you have, please explain tank size, inhabitants, filtration, lighting, as well as age of the system.
I have a twenty gallon with a tailspot blenny and a firefish. Two clownfish will be added this week. I have an aquaclear 50 filter. I have this light https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/70-new-18-sbox-basic.html. The tank is only a couple months old. I'm not planning on getting any coral until at least July but I want to make sure I get the right coral for me.

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the system you have, please explain tank size, inhabitants, filtration, lighting, as well as age of the system.
Here's a picture
Attach42569_20190514_182129.jpeg

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a twenty gallon with a tailspot blenny and a firefish. Two clownfish will be added this week. I have an aquaclear 50 filter. I have this light https://sbreeflights.com/sbox-reef-lights/70-new-18-sbox-basic.html. The tank is only a couple months old. I'm not planning on getting any coral until at least July but I want to make sure I get the right coral for me.
Do you have any pictures of your system? Perhaps make a build thread, makes it very easy to show others what you have. Do you have a protein skimmer? As LPS maze brains are farily hardy, but noting is invincible. As long as your levels are in check it should do fine. Only concern would be filtration with a HOB filter with no skimmer or fuge to accompany it, a light bio load may be in your favor.

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of your system? Perhaps make a build thread, makes it very easy to show others what you have. Do you have a protein skimmer? As LPS maze brains are farily hardy, but noting is invincible. As long as your levels are in check it should do fine. Only concern would be filtration with a HOB filter with no skimmer or fuge to accompany it, a light bio load may be in your favor.
I have an aqualife mini protein Skimmer, aquatop Pf25-uv, aqua gadget minimax pro media reactor. No picture because I'm at work

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, you should be fine, Aquaclear HOB in tandem with a skimmer is sufficient filtration with a lighter bioload. Maze brains (Platygyra) like low med light and low med flow. Occasional spot feedings can help, but not required if you feed you fish regularly.

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, you should be fine, Aquaclear HOB in tandem with a skimmer is sufficient filtration with a lighter bioload. Maze brains (Platygyra) like low med light and low med flow. Occasional spot feedings can help, but not required if you feed you fish regularly.
I'm also interested in getting a fluorescent tip torch coral and blue snowflake polyps. Would all three work in my tank? Where would you place them in my tank?

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to go with any stoney corals, like the lps, get a test kit for calcium and alkalinity. You probably wont have to dose these into your tank. But you need to know where there at. To adjust them, it'll probably be easier to just do water changes with elevated elements. Any "reef" salt will do this. And make sure you use a proper salinity meter like a refractometer. Not the hydrometers.
Most of all remember that stability is far more important that your test numbers. If they become way off at some point, don't panic. Just slowly bring them back. Emphasis on "Slowly".

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to go with any stoney corals, like the lps, get a test kit for calcium and alkalinity. You probably wont have to dose these into your tank. But you need to know where there at. To adjust them, it'll probably be easier to just do water changes with elevated elements. Any "reef" salt will do this. And make sure you use a proper salinity meter like a refractometer. Not the hydrometers.
Most of all remember that stability is far more important that your test numbers. If they become way off at some point, don't panic. Just slowly bring them back. Emphasis on "Slowly".
I use instant ocean reef crystals and refractometer. I just purchased a redsea test kit for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium

I'm also interested in getting a fluorescent tip torch coral and blue snowflake polyps. Would all three work in my tank? Where would you place them in my tank?
Attach42569_20190514_182129.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back