OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you're in Harrisonburg. I go there sometimes and was wondering what LFS you go to?
Where are you from?

The Petco in Harrisonburg actually has a healthy and diverse selection of fish/corals for a chain store. Manager is a nice guy and reefer himself.

Next would be Pets N Pals in Staunton (30 min south on 81) which is nice cause there is a good Thai place next door. Pets N Pals has improved in the products/livestock they have and has employed a few local reefers to help in the saltwater section. Corals are pretty pricey but every now and then I find something nice. It has a bad reputation locally but I think they have improved drastically in the 2 years I have been going there.

From there the best place I have found is Pet and Aquatic Warehouse in Lynchburg which is about 1.5 hour drive but I have family in that area. Worth the trip as its a large specialty store with gear, meds, fish, corals and solid knowledge.

Other than that I largely buy online for anything specific.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief Update

Move all my coral from the frag/QT setup into the tank. Parameters have stabilized and nutrients are steady and low after setting up my very old original Berlin Classic. Dialing in that sucker was not fun at all. I have an order coming in from indo-pacific for a refugium startup kit that comes with macros, bristleworms, spaghetti worms and pods to help with clean up.

IMG_3103.JPG

Corals are doing well besides my high cost Acan I bought on black friday. Seems like I have flatworms so I will be doing a lot of dipping and research. My puffer took a nip out of my Cherry Tree Monti but I guess decided he didn't like the taste and preferred his clams. Final moving of frags will likely be this month to dial in par/flow but everything is coming along nicely.

Still want to add in a aiptasia eating filefish and mandarin as my final additions once my pod population takes off.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger Update!

In prep for the mandarin I setup a refugium with Macros from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms that included some cool detritus eaters for the tank. I setup my fuge into the drain section for my Grape Caulerpa and my main fuge section for the Cheato, Ulva and Gracilaria. Topped it off with a few orders of pods from Algae Barn. Becauce I really wanted a higher pod population I built myself a chaeto reactor out of an arduino/neopixels and the old berlin skimmer (I do have a spare if I want to undo this). I have since covered it with black film but here it is. I have harvested it twice in a month and it had doubled in size... twice

IMG_3206 2.JPG

To supplement I bought a areation-less brine shrimp hatchery and then built this guy based on paul B design. I made myself several mandarin feeders before settling on a conch shell base.The fish really like it so far but not exactly sure how I can clean it out besides replacing the stocking mesh.

IMG_3302.JPG
IMG_3267.JPG

Finally I ordered my filefish and mandarin. I kept them in acclimation boxes for a few day and fed heavily until I released them in the tank. They have been happy but I have already seen filefish nip at a leather... Pod population is booming at the moment I just need to remember to shake the algae. I also dialed in the flow and aquascape so I had more areas of low flow and proper lighting. The fish are happy!

IMG_3309.JPG

Please forgive the mess around the tank..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back