Neptune AFS Multiple rotations

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I’ve gone through the programming tutorials in the sticky’s but I cannot seem to make my feeder do multiple drum rotations using a virtual feed outlet. I can get a single rotation out of it, but I can’t seem to make the OSC command work for me. My code is as follows:

SET OFF
FALLBACK OFF
OSC 000:30/001:30/001:00 THEN ON
IF OUTPUT VFEED = ON THEN ON
IF OUTPUT VFEED = OFF THEN OFF
IF FeedA 000 THEN ON

There should be a 30 second delay then a rotation of the drum, then 3 minutes later a secon rotation. The Vfeed outlet runs for 5 minutes so it should get 2 rotations before the cycle ends. What is actually happening is that the feeder triggers immediately (no 30 second delay) and then doesn’t rotate again while the VFeed cycle is active. This programming runs great for a single rotation if I delete the OSC command and add a Defer line for 30 seconds as the last line. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue? #apexusers

Last edited:

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, I’ve gone through the programming tutorials in the sticky’s but I cannot seem to make my feeder do multiple drum rotations using a virtual feed outlet. I can get a single rotation out of it, but I can’t seem to make the OSC command work for me. My code is as follows:

SET OFF
FALLBACK OFF
IF FeedA 000 THEN ON

There should be a 30 second delay then a rotation of the drum, then 3 minutes later a secon rotation. The Vfeed outlet runs for 5 minutes so it should get 2 rotations before the cycle ends. What is actually happening is that the feeder triggers immediately (no 30 second delay) and then doesn’t rotate again while the VFeed cycle is active. This programming runs great for a single rotation if I delete the OSC command and add a Defer line for 30 seconds as the last line. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue?
You have too much going on in the same outlet. You need to do this:

Virtual outlet
If feed A on then on

AFS outlet
If virtual outlet off then off

This way your AFS will run the OSC command as long as the virtual outlet is on. The virtual outlet is on as long as feed a is on.

The way you have it your AFS is running immediately if feed A is on. If feed A isn’t on theN It’s doing what ever your virtual outlet is. It will never run your OSC command.

Also i don’t think your OSC command is right. The way you have it, it’s 30 seconds off, 1:30 on, 1 off. That won’t create a 3 minute gap between rotations.

OP
OP
Albertan22

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have too much going on in the same outlet. You need to do this:

Virtual outlet
If feed A on then on

AFS outlet
If virtual outlet off then off

This way your AFS will run the OSC command as long as the virtual outlet is on. The virtual outlet is on as long as feed a is on.

The way you have it your AFS is running immediately if feed A is on. If feed A isn’t on theN It’s doing what ever your virtual outlet is. It will never run your OSC command.

Also i don’t think your OSC command is right. The way you have it, it’s 30 seconds off, 1:30 on, 1 off. That won’t create a 3 minute gap between rotations.
I tried your code, the feeder still triggers immediately without any delay.

OP
OP
Albertan22

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the following:
If outlet vfeed = off then on

This just triggered it immediately when I manually set the vfeed outlet to on. I just changed it to then off and it seems to work. I’m using it with a time setting not a feed button so my vfeed code is different than what you posted. I will have to add the feed cycle to the vfeed now though to see if it works.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used the following:
If outlet vfeed = off then on

This just triggered it immediately when I manually set the vfeed outlet to on. I just changed it to then off and it seems to work. I’m using it with a time setting not a feed button so my vfeed code is different than what you posted. I will have to add the feed cycle to the vfeed now though to see if it works.
It should be if vfeed=off then off

You have it as on.

OP
OP
Albertan22

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FeedA cycle seems to trigger it immediately again. I can make it work by adding another defer cycle but I don’t think I should have to do that.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the AFS rotates one time each time it's turned on, the best thing to do is to configure the AFS with an OSC command to toggle it on and off repeatedly, but use the status of the vFeed output to keep it turned off when not needed. This allows you to both manually initiate a feeding with the FeedA button, but also have scheduled feedings with the If Time commands:

[vFeed]
Set OFF
If TIme 08:00 to 08:04 Then ON
If TIme 17:00 to 17:04 Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON

[AFS]
OSC 001:00/001:00/000:00 Then ON
If Output vFeed = OFF Then OFF

[Pumps, Powerheads, Skimmer]
Set ON
If Output vFeed = ON Then OFF

This code would start the vFeed cycle at 08:00 and turn off at 08:05 (remember the If Time values are inclusive, so it stays On through 08:04:59). As soon as vFeed turns On, the pumps, powerheads, and skimmer will turn Off. One minute later, the AFS will do it's first rotation due to the OSC 001:00 initial delay. One minute later the AFS will turn Off and retract the drum. One minute later it will turn back On for a 2nd rotation. Finally, it will turn Off one minute later, then vFeed expires and the pumps will turn back on:

08:00 - vFeed turns ON, pumps turn Off
08:01 - AFS first rotation
08:02 - AFS retracts
08:03 - AFS second rotation
08:04 - AFS retracts
08:05 - vFeed turns Off, disabling the AFS, and the pumps turn back On

The whole process repeats again at 17:00.

I'm not sure if you read my Apex Programming Tutorial series, but here's a link to it just in case: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

My Feed Cycle tutorial did not cover multiple rotations, but the code above will allow it and works right into the framework I presented in the tutorial.

Be sure to set your FeedA timer to 5 minutes (300 seconds) under the Misc Setup screen.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

SET OFF
FALLBACK OFF
IF FeedA 000 THEN ON

There should be a 30 second delay then a rotation of the drum, then 3 minutes later a secon rotation. The Vfeed outlet runs for 5 minutes so it should get 2 rotations before the cycle ends. What is actually happening is that the feeder triggers immediately (no 30 second delay) and then doesn’t rotate again while the VFeed cycle is active. This programming runs great for a single rotation if I delete the OSC command and add a Defer line for 30 seconds as the last line. Any thoughts as to what may be the issue? #apexusers
I'm pretty sure fusion will program this for you easily. No reason to use a virtual outlet for the feeder. Mine feeds twice a day with two rotations.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OSC 000:00/000:30/000:30 Then ON
If Time 00:00 to 09:30 Then OFF
If Time 09:33 to 13:30 Then OFF
If Time 13:33 to 00:00 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then ON
Here's the code for mine if I used advanced.
Feeder turns on at 9:30 and 1:30

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is there a reason why you want to use a virtual outlet instead of the feeder outlet on it's own?
Because he wants it to work on a feed command not on a set time interval. So you have to use a virtual outlet in order to make it turn off when the feed command isn’t on.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back