Neptune Apex controllers disco/support?

Hipertec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, with the discontinuation of Reefkeeper and no support from the company, how safe is it to invest into a used Neptune Apex Jr/Classic models?
Esspecially now since they are discontinued and Neptune is selling the EL for so much more?
I would hate to invest on a system and find out a year from now that tech support is not longer available. Thoughts?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the Apex JR and Classic are older models, the company still exists, therefore support should always exist. Unless Apex goes under for some unknown reason, they should be able to help you on both the newer and older models. Plus there are enough users out there for both systems (reefkeeper and apex) that you can almost always get your technical questions answered :)

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with older generations of Apex is the newer modules and newer firmware aren't always compatible with the older ones. There's newer computing parts in the new Apex that makes backward compatibility a problem. As of now I believe it's only the DOS system , and their upcoming Trident (the alk,ca,mg) monitor that aren't compatible with older Apex units. I have a classic apex still, and am trying not to have to upgrade it just yet... It still works for me. If you can get your hands on a used one like I did, it could help save some money as well. But just know that just like flip phones went outta style,these Apex's will in time too...

vhuang168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS works with the Classic and Jr. systems.

The only component currently that does not work with the Classic/Jr. is the EB832. The only upcoming product that does not work with the Classic/Jr. is the Trident.

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DOS works with the Classic and Jr. systems.

The only component currently that does not work with the Classic/Jr. is the EB832. The only upcoming product that does not work with the Classic/Jr. is the Trident.

Ah, my mistake I thought that the DOS system required that new EB to plug into... I knew the new EB isn't compatible either, hence my assumption that the DOS followed suit. That's kinda good news though, I might look into one in the future myself now.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back