Neptune Apex Nitrate and Phosphate Monitor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 1, Guests: 2)

Krampus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any efforts to create a monitor for regular testing of these in a fashion similar to a Trident? If this were ever to be released then I think it would be a huge game changer for us that are inside the Apex fence. Automating arguably the two most important parameters would be such a stress relief, make more successful reefers, and be a very nice cash cow akin to the Trident.

Just curious if the idea is even being entertained around the R&D department because this is something that I've wished I could buy for years! Thanks!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any efforts to create a monitor for regular testing of these in a fashion similar to a Trident? If this were ever to be released then I think it would be a huge game changer for us that are inside the Apex fence. Automating arguably the two most important parameters would be such a stress relief, make more successful reefers, and be a very nice cash cow akin to the Trident.

Just curious if the idea is even being entertained around the R&D department because this is something that I've wished I could buy for years! Thanks!
I think ABC Reagents is probably the reason you wont see this. Trident was originally created to make a subscription model for neptune by buying their reagents monthly. As soon as ABC reagent came in and started offering this for what, 60% of the cost, Apex stopped putting money into this. Dont get me wrong, I am all for capitalism and people being competitive for the customer, but this is one of the places where it is most likely limiting our choices going forward.

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABC Reagents is about to come out with there own nitrate and phosphate tester. Check there Instagram page. My question is how can a small new company ABC Reagents beat the biggest reef aquarium Controller company Neptune to the punch by creating a auto Nitrate and phosphate tester??

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even if Neptune had something in the works, you’re not going to hear anything about it until release day.

Neptune blew the Trident release something fierce. Then didn’t learn their lesson and announced the MXM WAY WAY WAY too early. I can’t see them striking out yet again on a product announcement that isn’t fully ready for release.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if Neptune had something in the works, you’re not going to hear anything about it until release day.

Neptune blew the Trident release something fierce. Then didn’t learn their lesson and announced the MXM WAY WAY WAY too early. I can’t see them striking out yet again on a product announcement that isn’t fully ready for release.
How did they blow it? They said christmas...then didnt mention which century. ;) Ambiguity is your friend when making promises.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How did they blow it? They said christmas...then didnt mention which century. ;) Ambiguity is your friend when making promises.

The total lack of communication is astounding to me. A simple post explaining the delay takes 5 minutes but Neptune has decided radio silence is a better way to go. Crazy

OP
OP
Krampus

Krampus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we are guaranteed a Nitrate and Phosphate Monitor by Christmas then?! :)

That would be a very nice Christmas gift!

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is honestly NO reason why there isn't one already. It's a simple one reagent test for each. Just stupid to not have gone for this as they would sell boatloads of them.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ABC Reagents is probably the reason you wont see this. Trident was originally created to make a subscription model for neptune by buying their reagents monthly. As soon as ABC reagent came in and started offering this for what, 60% of the cost, Apex stopped putting money into this. Dont get me wrong, I am all for capitalism and people being competitive for the customer, but this is one of the places where it is most likely limiting our choices going forward.
Who? what? …going there (ABC) now…almost felt like Trident was a Trojan for the whole reagent sales thing… Thanks
Edit add: Dang, I forgot I don’t have Instagram account, or Tweeter, or tic tac or or or ….

and BTW its sorta a goof they didn’t include Nitrate and phos in the 1st place…I wanted to post this question a while back but felt whats the point?

@rtparty …. the Illuminati industrial complex will be out with alien tech sooner than Neptune releases any product news … so yup I agree thier product launches/releases are frustrating …

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be the first to say this industry fabricates the need for secrecy to feel like they wield some sort of power over others. A lot of times it's unnecessary.

The thing that most people don't understand is that companies like Neptune Systems needs to protect their IP so that once they pour tons of money into a product they can achieve maximum market share for as long as possible.

If they're working on a automated phosphate and nitrate tester we won't get to hear about it until patent pending is awarded. But that's the earliest, and as stated above patent pending doesn't mean it's finished with r&d.

I'd imagine the idea for secrecy is to prevent competitors from playing catch up. But my argument is that this industry isn't as cut throat as many make it out to be. It wouldn't be hard to say, "we're developing a N&P automated tester, it'll be ready when it's ready!"

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a "Trident 2" for nitrate/phosphate/iodine. What a lot of people don't realize is that you can completely customize your Trident to take as many, or little tests as possible. I have been testing alk twice a day, and ca/mg once a day for over two years. That means half the wear and tear, and the reagents last twice as long. The rumors of the reagent coagulating in the lines are completely false.
To customize your schedule, you'll need the info from this other forum...
Thread 'Fully customize Neptune Trident's test schedule' https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/fully-customize-neptune-tridents-test-schedule.5606/

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that most people don't understand is that companies like Neptune Systems needs to protect their IP so that once they pour tons of money into a product they can achieve maximum market share for as long as possible.

Sadly they have to hold the cards to their chest in some cases. Today people are so quick to reverse engineer things that it doesn't make sense to develop things that are in a smaller market or are a niche.

3d printing is nasty at times :(

If they're working on a automated phosphate and nitrate tester we won't get to hear about it until patent pending is awarded. But that's the earliest, and as stated above patent pending doesn't mean it's finished with r&d.

I'd imagine the idea for secrecy is to prevent competitors from playing catch up. But my argument is that this industry isn't as cut throat as many make it out to be. It wouldn't be hard to say, "we're developing a N&P automated tester, it'll be ready when it's ready!"

I seem to recall a while back on one of the lets talk reefs Neptune used to do or maybe it was BRS talking about Hanna's new nitrate checker. In any case Ryan joked at the time about adding both nitrate and phosphate add-on for the trident for X amount of dollars. People he said would probably go bonkers for it - then laughed.

A few people have poked Jim about the new tests but who knows if he is working on it or not. I'm pretty sure he is a bit frustrated with the whole knock off reagent deal. I know I would be. Easy enough for Neptune to fix though by adding a bar code on the reagent bottle or registering them.

Could also be that maybe those tests are not as popular for automation because Hanna's kits are so easy and quick to use.

Hope all is well. Always nice to read your comments as they are balanced and respectful.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly they have to hold the cards to their chest in some cases. Today people are so quick to reverse engineer things that it doesn't make sense to develop things that are in a smaller market or are a niche.

3d printing is nasty at times :(

I seem to recall a while back on one of the lets talk reefs Neptune used to do or maybe it was BRS talking about Hanna's new nitrate checker. In any case Ryan joked at the time about adding both nitrate and phosphate add-on for the trident for X amount of dollars. People he said would probably go bonkers for it - then laughed.

A few people have poked Jim about the new tests but who knows if he is working on it or not. I'm pretty sure he is a bit frustrated with the whole knock off reagent deal. I know I would be. Easy enough for Neptune to fix though by adding a bar code on the reagent bottle or registering them.

Could also be that maybe those tests are not as popular for automation because Hanna's kits are so easy and quick to use.

Hope all is well. Always nice to read your comments as they are balanced and respectful.
I stopped using the Mg and Ca tests on my neptune..rediculously unreliable so I stopped doing those. I just test my alk three times a day. Unfortunately, Trident doesnt just offer the alk reagent by itself, so I shop at ABC

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy enough for Neptune to fix though by adding a bar code on the reagent bottle or registering them.

Keurig tried to do that with their 2.0 and it blew up on them :) I think people just fill up their old Neptune reagent bottles with the ABC solution anyway.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using the Mg and Ca tests on my neptune..rediculously unreliable so I stopped doing those. I just test my alk three times a day. Unfortunately, Trident doesnt just offer the alk reagent by itself, so I shop at ABC

I am not judging anyone who uses either. Apologies if my reply sounded like that.

With regards to the trident and your use case I do find things like this interesting. How hobbyist can use the same piece of equipment with different experiences. Salt, lighting, test kits, automation, etc.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not judging anyone who uses either. Apologies if my reply sounded like that.

With regards to the trident and your use case I do find things like this interesting. How hobbyist can use the same piece of equipment with different experiences. Salt, lighting, test kits, automation, etc.
I didnt take it that way at all. So no worries.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason ABC reagent got a foot in the door was because the price point of Neptune reagent. It seems to speak volumes about profit over worth. Not to say NS shouldn't have done it, but they have to be ready for competition to undercut them.

I don't think barcodes... or a clever way to force users to use their reagent will be the answer, nor do i think it would go over well.

What I'm starting to see, is some real intelligent people offer up their skills to do exactly what these companies are doing, and allowing us to have more control of the software and how to use it.

I personally think it's a breath of fresh air, to hopefully see hobbyists take back control and stop allowing the few manufacturers dictate the direction of this ship.

It's sort of the hobby correcting itself.

Cranie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's be honest. While I don't possess all the skills necessary to pull it off it wouldn't be a far stretch for a collective to create programming and source the (liquid) reagents to convert the existing Trident to Phos and Nitrate testing. BRS/Neptune know there is a huge demand for it but if they choose not to provide supply eventually it WILL become DIY as I've seen happen in many other "hobbies".

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I understand and appreciate your perspective, I think this is going to be a difficult market to gain entry into. There are plenty of DIY'ers out there that are / have done this. But few aquarist are going to take a chance on unproven technology, especially when the chance of the company going out of business and they have yet another expensive aquarium brick. To be proven solution, it has to be accepted by a large group and start taking market share from the big boys. I think reefbot already has this, and appears to be making slow inroads into this market. I would be willing to bet that makers trident or alkatronic will buy out Reefbot before it becomes a serious threat and thus starting the whole 'waiting for an answer' all over again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back