Neptune Apex Trident

SPSDomination

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has Apex made any changes to the Trident over the years of its release? I was considering buying used and the model im looking at was apparently made in 2019. Are the newer Tridents any different from the old? Does anyone recommend against buying used?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question. Mine dates back to 2021 and I setup a slightly older one (2020?) at my LFS, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I do know Neptune has updated the software on the Trident once or twice in the past year. Physically, I'm not sure much has changed with the actual unit itself.

Myself I would be reluctant to buy used - simply because it's a bit more involved that turning it on and off to verify it works. Used you will probably need to disassemble it and clean the cuvette (there's a YouTube video that shows how to do this) as well as rinse/clean out the waste/sample lines for any accumulated debris.

The Trident is a reasonably good system, but it does require that you occasionally recalibrate it (different batches of reagents seem to yield different test results).

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been no architectural changes to the Trident since the initial release. I've heard that recent models have a couple of slightly different electrical components, but this was just due to supply chain problems forcing them to source different parts, not an actual redesign of anything. I've also heard that some newer Tridents may include a tiny filter for the water sample line to prevent clogs, but I have not seen this firsthand.

As @blaxsun mentioned above, I'd hesitate to purchase a used unit, but that's just me.

OP
OP
SPSDomination

SPSDomination

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been no architectural changes to the Trident since the initial release. I've heard that recent models have a couple of slightly different electrical components, but this was just due to supply chain problems forcing them to source different parts, not an actual redesign of anything. I've also heard that some newer Tridents may include a tiny filter for the water sample line to prevent clogs, but I have not seen this firsthand.

As @blaxsun mentioned above, I'd hesitate to purchase a used unit, but that's just me.
Interesting. Looks like ill go the new route.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya Kinda of feel like spending the extra money for the peace of mind is well worth it.
I had an issue with mine right out of the box and Neptune was able to resolve it over the phone for me (they were also prepared to send me a new unit). Neptune has been really good from a support standpoint as well.

And we have our resident Neptune expert @SuncrestReef who is just a wealth of information,

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I third the idea of buying Neptune Trident new (as well as the Apex) - they are intricate pieces of equipment and you just know the life it lived before you. I believe getting new and warranty are worth the price.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Interesting. Looks like ill go the new route.
If you hang on a week, there may be 10% for easter weekend savings and Likely for memorial day weekend

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that Neptune offers a rebuild kit for the trident. Give them a call and see what they say. That all depends if your getting it for a steal

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So has Apex made any changes to the Trident over the years of its release? I was considering buying used and the model im looking at was apparently made in 2019. Are the newer Tridents any different from the old? Does anyone recommend against buying used?
I would buy a new one - unless you are getting it for $100 and send it in for factory maintenance.

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The fact that Neptune has a recommended 2 year maintenance service for the trident would support buying new. Having owned one for a while now, I don't mind buying a used one in the future and cleaning it out myself. But if it is a first time purchase, I'd go with new.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can confirm there is a small filter that attaches to the intake of the sample water

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a picture of it
20220620_094953.jpg

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how the filter doesn’t affect the reading since it restricts flow a little
Because it's a peristaltic pump. Those pull the same amount of water regardless of head and restrictions unless they clog the tube in the head itself or are choked beyond their specifications (4ft of pressure loss for the trident).

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where to get this filter I couldn’t find on Neptune's site. Curious why they don't offer it to current Trident users.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can buy the filter separately...mine came with the maintenance kit. To the OP though, I would definitely consider buying used for the right price. The maintenance kit replaces pretty much every component except the solenoids and main board. As far as differences from new to old, that only ones I am aware of are the addition of the intake filter (which comes with the kit) and a small plastic piece that holds two of the plastic tubes internally against the frame (which, according to Neptune, doesn't affect the workings of the unit, was merely for production purposes.)

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for the right price.
That is the kicker. Normal used prices kind of go out the window when you have to spend $200 for Neptune to maintenance of $100 + an hour of your time. For it to actually be worthwhile, the used unit would need to be like $300-400 since a brand new unit includes $140-240 worth of maintenance and reagents.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the kicker. Normal used prices kind of go out the window when you have to spend $200 for Neptune to maintenance of $100 + an hour of your time. For it to actually be worthwhile, the used unit would need to be like $300-400 since a brand new unit includes $140-240 worth of maintenance and reagents.
Yeah, I would never send it in for maintenance.....that would quickly spend any savings you would have gotten buying it used. I just order the maintenance kit and do it myself which is much cheaper.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back