Neptune Black Friday - Am I Missing Something?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With smart phones, is there really any benefit to the display module?
The Display module can be particularly useful since it can show the current IP address, username, and password for the Apex which is not available through the normal Fusion interface or the Apex Classic dashboard. If you’ve ever forgotten your local password, you know how important this is. These items can also be changed from the Display module, though the interface is pretty clunky to scroll through the alphabet with the arrow buttons.

See my Apex Hardware Overview article for more details on all the Apex modules:

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be my thought too. Hydros is the same type of chinese gear, but priced much cheaper... I did like "coding" when i had an older neptune, though, and i don't care for my GHL's "no code" software. People seem to like the Hydros "no code" software it seems.

GHL has gear that feels very solid and to date none of mine has failed. I have a squeaky doser, but haven't touch it and it seems fine. I swear at the GHL software and app daily and programing and setting up is mind numbingly slow and frustrating. The hope (prayer) among many users is that the supposedly solid GHL hardware is worth the software hassle and frustration.

I wouldn't look to BRS videos for any type of worth while controller comparisons--you won't find any and anything they say is ridiculously pro Neptune and has been for a long time.
I don't know where the parts are sourced, but they clearly say it's engineered and assembled in the US. Also I really don't care where it comes from as long as it works, and Hydros has been proving it works and is reliable.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know where the parts are sourced, but they clearly say it's engineered and assembled in the US. Also I really don't care where it comes from as long as it works, and Hydros has been proving it works and is reliable.
I am not bashing, rather complimenting Hydros. It has chinese parts and is priced accordingly. Chinese parts are increasingly better, but the reality is the communist turned totalitarian country (if there is a meaningful difference) has cheap labor making these parts, as the country goes through an industrial revolution never seen before in the history of world (if a remotely comparable living standard ever manifests in China, the cheap labor will go away, but the country's leaders purposely have policies that keep the populace in poverty while the ruling class lives like kings).

With cheap labor doing the heavy lifting and making hydros parts--i appreciate that Hydros is passing the savings on to customers--and is not inflating its prices like Neptune does (with not much effort one can find Neptune parts, e.g., dosers, from chinese sources for pennies on the dollar).

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up ordering all the stuff i wanted from Neptune separately (From BRS).
The packages just weren't customized enough for what i wanted.

Now I just need to learn how to use all this stuff. Compared to my reefangel I consider this a nice upgrade. The reefangel will be going on ebay most likely. I have too many parts for it to even list, I cant remember it all off hand.
I just got tired of the wifi module that kept on disconnecting, and for some reason my programs kept needing to be reprogrammed every few months.
Only thing i can say i like better so far about the reefangel is the water level meter. It shows a water level percentage. Compared to apex which is just a open/close with their sensors.

Also decided to get rid of my older jebao return pump in favor of a COR-20.
Unfortunately Apex and EcoTech no longer play nice together.
So I will need to continue using Mobius for my 2 MP40's and XR30 pros. Since I surely wont be messing with firmware downgrades to use them with a WXM which is no longer supported.

This is all that I got for myself this Black Friday.
My wife and kids made out nice this year, so I had to treat myself some too ;)

Apex Controller $797
ATK Kit $202
LDK Kit $134
PMK $292
COR-20 $314
DC 24 to bare wire $16
OS-1-M Optical Level Sensor $31

About $1800 total. Plus tax and all that good stuff.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now I just need to learn how to use all this stuff. Compared to my reefangel I consider this a nice upgrade. The reefangel will be going on ebay most likely. I have too many parts for it to even list, I cant remember it all off hand.
I just got tired of the wifi module that kept on disconnecting, and for some reason my programs kept needing to be reprogrammed every few months.
Only thing i can say i like better so far about the reefangel is the water level meter. It shows a water level percentage. Compared to apex which is just a open/close with their sensors.

Also decided to get rid of my older jebao return pump in favor of a COR-20.
Unfortunately Apex and EcoTech no longer play nice together.
So I will need to continue using Mobius for my 2 MP40's and XR30 pros. Since I surely wont be messing with firmware downgrades to use them with a WXM which is no longer supported.

This is all that I got for myself this Black Friday.
My wife and kids made out nice this year, so I had to treat myself some too ;)

Apex Controller $797
ATK Kit $202
LDK Kit $134
PMK $292
COR-20 $314
DC 24 to bare wire $16
OS-1-M Optical Level Sensor $31

It’s best just to buy stuff separately and don’t get too hooked on everything needs to be Neptune. Some apex stuff is good and others leaves something to be desired.

For example you will find apex atk has 3 stars and BRS while a Tunze ATO has a perfect 5.

Just because it says Neptune on it, doesn’t mean it is the best choice.

For that alone I would avoid bundles and just piece together a superior system.

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I just like having a go all solution and for simplicity Neptune does it for me.

No way I’m replacing my lighting or wave pumps for something that can be controlled by Neptune.

But when it comes to the automation and monitoring Neptune wins.
I like to monitor my ATO, so went with Neptune as well. I did like it on the ReefAngel but not enough to use separate controllers.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got tired of the wifi module that kept on disconnecting, and for some reason my programs kept needing

FYI, there are some large retailers that CORRECTLY do not charge sales tax... (you only should be charged it if the retailer has physical presence in your state...). I only order ftom BRS when i have to because of this.... it's an 8% sale on every purchase, and believe me i dont lose any sleep over lessening the wasteful greedy govt's take....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back