Neptune COR Return Pump vs. EcoTech Vectra Return Pump

_marine_dream_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see people’s opinions and thoughts on what return pump is the superior in regards to functionality, price point, and other miscellaneous factors such and aesthetic design etc.

If you have tried one (or even both) why would you suggest one over the other?

lacrosseboss18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ecotech vectra L1 and M1. Haven’t had the chance to try the COR yet I’m very happy with both vectra pumps. One huge advantage the COR has is that you can control it through your Apex if you have one. The Vectra doesn’t connect to the apex. Only on/off function. You either have to adjust it manually or you need the Reeflink controller.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as soon as I get the cor I will let u know

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I run two return pumps both m1s right now the plan is to run one cor 20 and one m1 next to each other to see the diffences

OP
OP
_marine_dream_

_marine_dream_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully we can get some hands on reviews soon. I do lean towards EcoTech due to the backup battery but I hear the controllability due to Apex configuration for the Neptune COR is worth it. Will see what features outweigh the others.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be missing something here but I don't really understand why you would need so much controllability (except on/off) on a return pump? Once the flow is tuned in it should run pretty much the same 24/7 right? Even on an AC pump flow is easily controlled with a gate valve on the output side with reduced wattage (and some efficiency loss) used for the pump as a result.

More advanced flow patterns are usually made with wave makers and powerheads.

I might be a noob in this area but it just seem to be a big bling factor in this. But anyone, please explain to me why I'm wrong! :)

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be missing something here but I don't really understand why you would need so much controllability (except on/off) on a return pump? Once the flow is tuned in it should run pretty much the same 24/7 right? Even on an AC pump flow is easily controlled with a gate valve on the output side with reduced wattage (and some efficiency loss) used for the pump as a result.

More advanced flow patterns are usually made with wave makers and powerheads.

I might be a noob in this area but it just seem to be a big bling factor in this. But anyone, please explain to me why I'm wrong! :)
I'm with you I don't get what the big deal is with the core. You set the flow and you never touch it again and I'm a apex guy to

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new L1 for my new build and the only reason I would consider the Cor is becuase my sump is orange, so color would be nice to match. A controllable DC pump with on/off is all ever needed for a tank.

I have lots of Apex stuff and although I trust my system, feel the heart of the system should run on its own for safety in case of failure

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be running mine with a manifold so I'm planning on using the controllability to keep the flow to the tank consistent even as flow to different media reactors and such change. I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm hopping that I can set the pump to react to a flow sensor and ramp up and down to stay at the same flow

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up my first reef tank and I am leaning towards the Ecotech system because of the battery backup solution they offer. I don’t know if the Neptune COR has that as an option.
when i asked Neptune about a battery back up when teh WAV came out they told me to use a standard Computer batt back up to power them up, so i sold my WAV's for vortechs. I doubt the COR will have the same.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Ecotech vectra L1 and M1. Haven’t had the chance to try the COR yet I’m very happy with both vectra pumps. One huge advantage the COR has is that you can control it through your Apex if you have one. The Vectra doesn’t connect to the apex. Only on/off function. You either have to adjust it manually or you need the Reeflink controller.
I quite literally just swapped out a Vectra M2 with a COR 15 earlier today. No issues with the Vextra and it is now my on-shelf spare. I went with the COR for the Apex ecosystem. I’d rather have everything on one platform.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an M2 and +1 on the battery back-up. We lost power a few weeks ago during Zeta and the battery backup kicked in at 3:00 a.m. and kept everything safe and sound for a few hours until I woke up, realized what was happening, and hooked up my Honda 2200i generator. Plus the Vectra is absolutely silent and powerful. With all of that said, I have zero experience with the COR and it could be great.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back