Neptune COR Return Pump vs. EcoTech Vectra Return Pump

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by _marine_dream_, Jan 12, 2018.

1. _marine_dream_

_marine_dream_ Member

I am curious to see people’s opinions and thoughts on what return pump is the superior in regards to functionality, price point, and other miscellaneous factors such and aesthetic design etc.

If you have tried one (or even both) why would you suggest one over the other?

Tags:

2. lacrosseboss18

lacrosseboss18 Active Member

I have the Ecotech vectra L1 and M1. Haven’t had the chance to try the COR yet I’m very happy with both vectra pumps. One huge advantage the COR has is that you can control it through your Apex if you have one. The Vectra doesn’t connect to the apex. Only on/off function. You either have to adjust it manually or you need the Reeflink controller.

3. Don Lidtke

Don Lidtke Some Old Guy R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

I am in the process of setting up my first reef tank and I am leaning towards the Ecotech system because of the battery backup solution they offer. I don’t know if the Neptune COR has that as an option.

4. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

Well as soon as I get the cor I will let u know

5. vertigo01

vertigo01 Active Member

IMHO its too early to tell how the COR will pan out, as it was just released.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h likes this.
  6. justingraham

justingraham Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

Well I run two return pumps both m1s right now the plan is to run one cor 20 and one m1 next to each other to see the diffences

7. _marine_dream_

_marine_dream_ Member

Hopefully we can get some hands on reviews soon. I do lean towards EcoTech due to the backup battery but I hear the controllability due to Apex configuration for the Neptune COR is worth it. Will see what features outweigh the others.

8. Mandelstam

Mandelstam Well-Known Member

I might be missing something here but I don't really understand why you would need so much controllability (except on/off) on a return pump? Once the flow is tuned in it should run pretty much the same 24/7 right? Even on an AC pump flow is easily controlled with a gate valve on the output side with reduced wattage (and some efficiency loss) used for the pump as a result.

More advanced flow patterns are usually made with wave makers and powerheads.

I might be a noob in this area but it just seem to be a big bling factor in this. But anyone, please explain to me why I'm wrong! :)

Mrx7899 likes this.
  9. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

I'm with you I don't get what the big deal is with the core. You set the flow and you never touch it again and I'm a apex guy to

Mandelstam likes this.
  10. Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy Active Member

I have a new L1 for my new build and the only reason I would consider the Cor is becuase my sump is orange, so color would be nice to match. A controllable DC pump with on/off is all ever needed for a tank.

I have lots of Apex stuff and although I trust my system, feel the heart of the system should run on its own for safety in case of failure

11. lbacha

lbacha Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm going to be running mine with a manifold so I'm planning on using the controllability to keep the flow to the tank consistent even as flow to different media reactors and such change. I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm hopping that I can set the pump to react to a flow sensor and ramp up and down to stay at the same flow

12. Txdragonslayer

Txdragonslayer Well-Known Member

when i asked Neptune about a battery back up when teh WAV came out they told me to use a standard Computer batt back up to power them up, so i sold my WAV's for vortechs. I doubt the COR will have the same.

Don Lidtke likes this.
  13. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Moved the thread to a more suitable sub forum :)

Draft saved Draft deleted