Neptune DoS Pump failure?

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, i heard my DOS kick on for its nightly automatic water change and one of the pumps was making a wicked noise, i can find people on youtube that have had the same issue, but i cant find any threads or resolutions as to what the problem actually is. The motor attempts to spin but just rattles and makes a loud noise instead.

Heres a link to a video of a DOS on youtube with the same exact issue i have.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the pump head to see if the motor still makes the noise? Sometimes if the barbs on the head get blocked the pump will make a funky noise.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remove the pump head to see if the motor still makes the noise? Sometimes if the barbs on the head get blocked the pump will make a funky noise.

Yup yup, i removed both DOS heads and made sure they were not locked up and turn freely. Both DOS heads turn freely, and both of them work when installed on the right pump. But when installed on the left pump it just rattles. I removed the left head again and hit the button (with the pump head off) and i can see the spindle drive just rattling around attempting to turn, but it just rattles back and forth and never spins.

Kind of sucks. I bought this DOS in oct-2018. Have had it 15 months, only used it 3 months on my initial purchase then i moved and it sat in a box until 2 weeks ago when i installed it for auto water changes for my new tank build. Those motors probably dont even have 100 hours of run time on them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s a bummer. Probably a return trip to Neptune.

OP
OP
MuffinMonster

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a couple days i tried my DOS again. Seems to be working now like nothing ever happened and has been running auto water changes fine the last couple nights. I am kind of freaked out though if this happens again and continues to pull water out of my tank and topping up with fresh via the auto-top-off. I got a return form from neptune, kind of going back and forth if i should send it in or not. If they need to replace the motor i feel it may be pretty expensive? anyone else have this experience?

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DOS is fairly new and haven't had this problem. If you haven't already, post in the Neptune Apex community forum for added attention.

2mk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, i heard my DOS kick on for its nightly automatic water change and one of the pumps was making a wicked noise, i can find people on youtube that have had the same issue, but i cant find any threads or resolutions as to what the problem actually is. The motor attempts to spin but just rattles and makes a loud noise instead.

Heres a link to a video of a DOS on youtube with the same exact issue i have.

I am in the same situation. Have found out what happened to the DOS? Have you resoved the problem?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back