Neptune dose pumps

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using a Neptune dosing system for auto water changing? Thinking of doing 3 gallons a day. Don’t have set up for large reservoirs so will be using 5 gallon water jugs unless someone knows of large water containers that would look nice in living room. Another question- do u still have to clean the inside of the tank. Currently I do 30 gal water change weekly and syphon sand as well as scrub glass. Thanks

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use larger water reservoirs maybe you can find a way to hide them by building them into something that looks decorative. In an old BRS video they built an ATO reservoir into an ottoman.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with AWCs you will still need to periodically siphon detritus and other things out of the tank. AWCs absolutely can help maintain stable levels in your tank and remove Nitrates but they will not remove the things causing nitrates to accumulate. Now it certainly cuts WAY back on the manual siphoning tank cleaning in that respect but cleaning the glass will still be needed probably at the same rate you do it now.

What's your living situation like? Do you own? If so does your place have a garage, unused closet or basement you could store your water in? The DOS can pump and pull quite a distance...

@ca1ore uses a DOS for his water changes so he might be able to chime in here as well

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like more work than doing the water change once a week. If you're doing 3g per day you're going to have to refill the 5g bucket daily. Also are you going to have a second container for the waste water? Do you have a basement? Pop a hole in the floor or down a wall and have a larger container in the basement. That's what I do and then I ran a line to a drain for the waste water.

I still do a monthly 5g or so old fashion water change just to blow off the rocks or suck up a piece of stray algae.

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with AWCs you will still need to periodically siphon detritus and other things out of the tank. AWCs absolutely can help maintain stable levels in your tank and remove Nitrates but they will not remove the things causing nitrates to accumulate. Now it certainly cuts WAY back on the manual siphoning tank cleaning in that respect but cleaning the glass will still be needed probably at the same rate you do it now.

What's your living situation like? Do you own? If so does your place have a garage, unused closet or basement you could store your water in? The DOS can pump and pull quite a distance...

@ca1ore uses a DOS for his water changes so he might be able to chime in here as well
Thanks. I own my house but the tank isn’t near the garage (not heated in Kansas) or a closet n the basement below is fully finished.

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like more work than doing the water change once a week. If you're doing 3g per day you're going to have to refill the 5g bucket daily. Also are you going to have a second container for the waste water? Do you have a basement? Pop a hole in the floor or down a wall and have a larger container in the basement. That's what I do and then I ran a line to a drain for the waste water.

I still do a monthly 5g or so old fashion water change just to blow off the rocks or suck up a piece of stray algae.
Yea that’s what I was worried about. Will the Neptune dose pump be able to pump water up a story?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the DOS to change 3 gallon a day, monday through thursday. On fridays I manually remove 5 gallons so I can clean up the tank at the same time. I pull new water from a Brute and dump old water back into a Brute....which obviously won't look good in a living room. You could probably use large plastic dog food containers though and hide them in cabinets?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that’s what I was worried about. Will the Neptune dose pump be able to pump water up a story?
I believe the DOS will pump up to 24 feet vertical. I don't think there is a limit horizontally but I might be wrong.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 2 gallons a day and my water storage tank is on the other side of my house about 35 ft away and the dos has no problems pulling water that far. My waste water is run to my washing machine drain. It pumps 8ft up to my ceiling across my house and down 8ft to my sump.

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 2 gallons a day and my water storage tank is on the other side of my house about 35 ft away and the dos has no problems pulling water that far. My waste water is run to my washing machine drain. It pumps 8ft up to my ceiling across my house and down 8ft to my sump.
What r u running the water through and how did u hid it?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the DOS will pump up to 24 feet vertical. I don't think there is a limit horizontally but I might be wrong.

You are correct, the DOS can pump up to 24 vertical feet. The horizontal distance does not matter.

I drilled a small hole through the wall in my living room from my tank to my mixing station in the garage and ran 1/4" tubing for auto water changes. I have the DOS on the wall in my garage so I don't need to hear it running in my living room. The AWC works great.

IMG_6350.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, the DOS can pump up to 24 vertical feet. The horizontal distance does not matter.

I drilled a small hole through the wall in my living room from my tank to my mixing station in the garage and ran 1/4" tubing for auto water changes. I have the DOS on the wall in my garage so I don't need to hear it running in my living room. The AWC works great.

IMG_6350.jpg
Thanks. Great info!

OP
OP
D

Deborah Armay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope u are still looking at this forum. I’m not having much luck finding instructions on running tubing through finished walls. I will need to cut a small hole in the wall and run the tubing through the ceiling of finished basement to a room under the steps. Any good places I could find instructions? Haven’t done much DYI in this department

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope u are still looking at this forum. I’m not having much luck finding instructions on running tubing through finished walls. I will need to cut a small hole in the wall and run the tubing through the ceiling of finished basement to a room under the steps. Any good places I could find instructions? Haven’t done much DYI in this department

What kind of help do you need? Are you planning on running the line into the wall then up into the ceiling and across your house then back down in the wall behind your tank?

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100g system and do 1 gallon per day. I was real skeptical at first but have checked my salinity a bunch and it’s been spot on every time. Very happy with it, I just wish they had a 4 head unit like everyone else does. Just so I could also dose 2 part. I just have 2- 12 gallon trash cans in my closet for the awc. If I was you, like others suggested, I’d just build a little shelf or something and put as large of containers as possible in there. I did 12 gallon trash cans so I could make water once a week and not worry about it running out(new water side) or overfilling(from the old water).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back