Neptune EngergyBar EB832 - Apex

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Neptune energy bar eb832 for quite sometime with apex controller and their other stuff, few days ago all equipments connected to the power port 1 thru 8 did not give power and all the equipments where off, I tried remove all cords and plug in back. Other ports like 1Link, aquabus seem to get power and works (like WAV, DOS AFS etc). I still see them in the apex dashboard (with an exclamation mark, see pic).
I contacted Neptune support and they asked me to go to module and update software for EB832, I did but did not help. since its out of warranty, they are asking me $150-$185 to repair it or an offer to spend $200 to get new one.

Anyone have any such issues and troubleshooted to get it working. Just curious.
Just spent a lot to get their EB + Controller package and couple years and its already broken.

thanks.

1623451800618.png

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Neptune energy bar eb832 for quite sometime with apex controller and their other stuff, few days ago all equipments connected to the power port 1 thru 8 did not give power and all the equipments where off, I tried remove all cords and plug in back. Other ports like 1Link, aquabus seem to get power and works (like WAV, DOS AFS etc). I still see them in the apex dashboard (with an exclamation mark, see pic).
I contacted Neptune support and they asked me to go to module and update software for EB832, I did but did not help. since its out of warranty, they are asking me $150-$185 to repair it or an offer to spend $200 to get new one.

Anyone have any such issues and troubleshooted to get it working. Just curious.
Just spent a lot to get their EB + Controller package and couple years and its already broken.

thanks.

1623451800618.png
I bought an EB8 a couple of months ago to replace my EB832 for a similar issue. Everyone I asked told me the EB8 is very reliable.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear. it's a 12v PSU that's needed, there is a typo in the article and there is no way for me to fix it. The end goal is not to replace the PSU but the capacitors in it as it provides a longer term fix.

Moderator's note: Typo in the referenced article has been corrected to 12V.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear. it's a 12v PSU that's needed, there is a typo in the article and there is no way for me to fix it. The end goal is not to replace the PSU but the capacitors in it as it provides a longer term fix.
Yes I read it too, thanks for pointing out, I ordered this one from amazon, hopefully will try this on weekend.

article says 500mA but this one is 1000mA, would that be okay?

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So your recommendation is to use the same power supply but change the caps?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It doesn't make sense to replace one low quality component with another of equal low quality. Especially for something as critical as EB832.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It doesn't make sense to replace one low quality component with another of equal low quality. Especially for something as critical as EB832.
I agree, I could do that instead of the another PSU. Where can I buy those caps? amazon ?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually avoid amazon and such for electronic components due to high volume of unchecked counterfeit. Any legit supplier, such as digikey, mouser, newark, etc. will have plenty of capacitors in stock.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I read it too, thanks for pointing out, I ordered this one from amazon, hopefully will try this on weekend.

I just followed the link and ordered it but looks like thats bigger in size, may be I should've checked on the picture carefully. ordered different one and have to wait for it to arrive. I will order the caps as well and fix the one I take out, not sure how long the caps shipping will take.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If the physical size is the same then the 1000mA supply would actually be slightly better imo.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake, blindly clicked the link from the thread and ordered it, it seem a bigger in size as well, ordered another brand and did it and its all working back now. thanks all for he info and feedbacks.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake, blindly clicked the link from the thread and ordered it, it seem a bigger in size as well, ordered another brand and did it and its all working back now. thanks all for he info and feedbacks.
I have the same issue now. Would you post or pm me what part did you buy and link to buy them, please. Thx.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue now. Would you post or pm me what part did you buy and link to buy them, please. Thx.
This is the part i purchased from amazon (at that time its only i could find that shipped quicker)

But the best option seem to replace the caps with a good quality one, i did find one panasonic caps when googled but there ship time was too delayed and didn't have a backup so i couldn't wait and got from amazon instead. I should order the caps and keep it just in case.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the part i purchased from amazon (at that time its only i could find that shipped quicker)

But the best option seem to replace the caps with a good quality one, i did find one panasonic caps when googled but there ship time was too delayed and didn't have a backup so i couldn't wait and got from amazon instead. I should order the caps and keep it just in case.
I end up bought the Meanwell IRM-10-12 (12V, 0.85A) to replace the stock AC-DC converter. After replace, everything work fine now.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I end up bought the Meanwell IRM-10-12 (12V, 0.85A) to replace the stock AC-DC converter. After replace, everything work fine now.
Were you replacing a Meanwell power unit or did your EB832 have the older style circuit board power unit? Was just wondering if I can expect the same thing to happen with the newer models that come with the Meanwell power unit in them.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you replacing a Meanwell power unit or did your EB832 have the older style circuit board power unit? Was just wondering if I can expect the same thing to happen with the newer models that come with the Meanwell power unit in them.
My EB832 has the older style power supply unit. I bought the Meanwell IRM-10-12.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back