Neptune SKY + Ecotech Mount

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there - I'm researching a change in lighting. Right now I have 3x the third Generation XR30s, all mounted to the ecotech rail system.

In the Neptune Sky descriptions, they mentioned that the units are made to work with other mounting systems, so I was curious if anybody had used the same ecotech rails for these new lights?

Thank you.
IMG_4941.jpeg
IMG_4942.jpeg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps but I mounted my SKY lights using the RMS X bracket. While not using the rail system I elected to center tap the RMS and attach it to a 80/20 rail. I know there are some using the RMS rails but I don't have anything handy. Sorry about that. Not sure if the RMS bracket below, which I used, helps at all.

Ecotech Marine
(XR727) XR30 G5 Radion Multi-Light RMS X Bracket - Ecotech Marine

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure if this helps but I mounted my SKY lights using the RMS X bracket. While not using the rail system I elected to center tap the RMS and attach it to a 80/20 rail. I know there are some using the RMS rails but I don't have anything handy. Sorry about that. Not sure if the RMS bracket below, which I used, helps at all.

Ecotech Marine
(XR727) XR30 G5 Radion Multi-Light RMS X Bracket - Ecotech Marine

Awesome. Thank you.

So the this X Bracket fit the Sky units? Seems like if that fit, then they'd be compatible with other Ecotech mounts.

Detour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not personally familiar with the mounting system you are using, but from the pictures, they look they are brackets just connected to the M5x.8 sockets on the back side of your existing lights. The SKY have the same M5..8 threaded sockets - from a hardware perspective, you should be able to re-use your same hardware and thread into the top of the SKY instead of your existing lights. Not sure how wide your current lights are, but the SKY are 14"x10.5"x2" - so although the mounting screws share the same footprint as other lights, the lights may not be the same footprint - so the spacing between them using the same brackets you have may be different with the SKY.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you.

So the this X Bracket fit the Sky units? Seems like if that fit, then they'd be compatible with other Ecotech mounts.

Yes, the bracket I linked is what I'm using on my sky's. I have not used the slide rail system before so really can't comment on how they work. It looks like they just slide over it after you attach the lights. Not sure if the photo's below of mine help any.

Edit: oof - pardon the dust :)

1629147536149.png

1629147564273.png

1629147592905.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is all great information. Thanks, y'all.

Looks like they'll fit, but the spacing I have at the moment wouldn't be maintained. I have to think about how that will affect things, but I think it would push them slightly further apart, which could create more dead space between, in theory.

Time to bust out the tape measurer.

I guess I could also just go with the G5's, but I liked the idea of going with Neptune for simplicity of running everything through the brain.

Do y'all like yours?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is all great information. Thanks, y'all.

Looks like they'll fit, but the spacing I have at the moment wouldn't be maintained. I have to think about how that will affect things, but I think it would push them slightly further apart, which could create more dead space between, in theory.

Time to bust out the tape measurer.

I guess I could also just go with the G5's, but I liked the idea of going with Neptune for simplicity of running everything through the brain.

Do y'all like yours?

You are going to get a mixed bag here of bias, dislike of the company, fans, and others who are objective. I can give you a bit of information from my experience. I am a long time Neptune customer. I took a break and moved over to open source (Reef Angel), and was using Kessil a360x kits before the SKY. I am a NSI user as of June this year when I replaced 4 a360x Kessil's with 2 SKY's. My display is 210 gallons (54 x 30 x 30). SKY lighting is mounted 8" above the water line. I don't care about graphs, UV, or how they compare to AB+. When I say I don't care I mean it isn't a reason for me to buy "ANY" light. I'm buying or upgrading for a reason. So why switch:

1. I wanted to reduce power cords
2. I wanted to reduce cables
3. I wanted a single source of control
4. I wanted to reduce shimmer (It only became a bigger concern when I didn't finish my canopy to be fair)

I'm thrilled with the lights. More spread. Linear PAR numbers regardless of the pre-set or custom setting I have tried. No loss of par. Shimmer is still there but more subtle (or as my wife said - I filled in the swimming pool in my office). I can still see shimmer on the sand bed just not like Kessil (noon over a shallow reef crest). Spectrum more or less matches Kessil logic. I was looking at the Philips Coral Care Gen 2's and almost purchased those. So yes, I prefer a less blue or more natural look (i only run blue/ab+ for 2 hours and a low intensity just before lights out).

Honestly they are great lights. No issues. Easy to setup in 3 to 5 minutes. Silent. Lots of PAR. Preset options. Good custom options. Quality is subjective but I like it. I can't say how long they will last because I can't see into the future but so far everything is fine 2 1/2 months in. They grow corals and I had no negative issues that caused corals to die. I do have corals that received more light and had to adjust / acclimate.

I think the question comes down to your list of needs and how does the light fit. Price, features, etc. Price wise it is cheaper than the ATI straton, equal to the Gen 2's and radions. I don't like spending other peoples money so get a list, read a bit, look at how you want to run the display, and see if they fight and are the right price.

Not sure if this helps or if you are looking for a "yes, buy them :) ". But they work for me. Hope you have an amazing day.

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You are going to get a mixed bag here of bias, dislike of the company, fans, and others who are objective. I can give you a bit of information from my experience. I am a long time Neptune customer. I took a break and moved over to open source (Reef Angel), and was using Kessil a360x kits before the SKY. I am a NSI user as of June this year when I replaced 4 a360x Kessil's with 2 SKY's. My display is 210 gallons (54 x 30 x 30). SKY lighting is mounted 8" above the water line. I don't care about graphs, UV, or how they compare to AB+. When I say I don't care I mean it isn't a reason for me to buy "ANY" light. I'm buying or upgrading for a reason. So why switch:

1. I wanted to reduce power cords
2. I wanted to reduce cables
3. I wanted a single source of control
4. I wanted to reduce shimmer (It only became a bigger concern when I didn't finish my canopy to be fair)

I'm thrilled with the lights. More spread. Linear PAR numbers regardless of the pre-set or custom setting I have tried. No loss of par. Shimmer is still there but more subtle (or as my wife said - I filled in the swimming pool in my office). I can still see shimmer on the sand bed just not like Kessil (noon over a shallow reef crest). Spectrum more or less matches Kessil logic. I was looking at the Philips Coral Care Gen 2's and almost purchased those. So yes, I prefer a less blue or more natural look (i only run blue/ab+ for 2 hours and a low intensity just before lights out).

Honestly they are great lights. No issues. Easy to setup in 3 to 5 minutes. Silent. Lots of PAR. Preset options. Good custom options. Quality is subjective but I like it. I can't say how long they will last because I can't see into the future but so far everything is fine 2 1/2 months in. They grow corals and I had no negative issues that caused corals to die. I do have corals that received more light and had to adjust / acclimate.

I think the question comes down to your list of needs and how does the light fit. Price, features, etc. Price wise it is cheaper than the ATI straton, equal to the Gen 2's and radions. I don't like spending other peoples money so get a list, read a bit, look at how you want to run the display, and see if they fight and are the right price.

Not sure if this helps or if you are looking for a "yes, buy them :) ". But they work for me. Hope you have an amazing day.

Awesome. I'm definitely a fan of Neptune products and I like to have everything easily integrated. I only run LPS with a few SPS that have grown well under my aging G3's. I like a lot of blue for sure - in fact, I run mostly blue's all the time.

I'll keep doing some research. I think it'll come down to the spread of having them be a little bit bigger than the G3's, so the spacing will be a bit off - if I use my current mount, which I'd like because it's all already installed in the ceiling etc.

Thanks again for the info and help. Just starting to think about which lights to go to now that my G3's are getting older. I'm having to run them at 100%, whereas I could get away with 40-50% a couple years ago.

jcates

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added them over my tank as well and have been happy with the simplicity of it all.

Also have had better polyp extension on my sps with them.

I've settled on running mine in the preset AB+ mode and like the look overall pleased with the purchase. Only time will tell on the longevity of them but I don't really see anything that gives me heartburn.

#hookem

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, the bracket I linked is what I'm using on my sky's. I have not used the slide rail system before so really can't comment on how they work. It looks like they just slide over it after you attach the lights. Not sure if the photo's below of mine help any.

Edit: oof - pardon the dust :)

1629147536149.png

1629147564273.png

1629147592905.png
I recently made mounts for the 8020 rail for the sky LED

9795C3F5-8F6B-4DEE-B7DD-096C2DD7FF57.jpeg
3216C055-826E-4D20-8BB5-062FE8C83D65.jpeg

David Gaskins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, my setup includes (3) three Neptune Sky's mounted to a EcoTech RMS track along with (3) three RMS XR slides, hung with a single pair of XR717 hanging kits. I dressed all he cabling into the rail and all fall down on right rear of fixture assembly. Sorry for the crappy picture but I took the image of of my IP camera from work.

Attachments

• IMG_9986.PNG
    IMG_9986.PNG
    511.8 KB · Views: 25

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back