0   0   0
7495543D-8767-4158-9846-2176A698DB0F.gif

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And what have you owned for lights? I want to make sure I can use your opinion to compare lights that you have actually owned.

Here is the lights I have owned-
G4 XR15’s
G5 XR15’s
G5 XR30’s
Orphek’s
Reefbrites
Kessil A360x’s
ATI Stratons
GNC Blue Rays to be tested next

Your opinion means nothing if you haven’t owned G5 Radions that you mention above.
So you owned many lights in the past.... watched a youtube video about the SKY... and now authoritatively claim that the light is overpriced and poorly constructed?

Industry average... $4/watt. Sky $3.97/watt. G5 $4.15/watt. GNC Blu Ray Pro $9.23/watt.
--> SKY is overpriced

G5 at release.... almost every unit is cracked, this fan has to be broken because it is super loud when they said it was specially designed to be silent, why do my lights keep changing schedule or just randomly turning off and on?. Sky at release... have yet to hear an issue from customers, the double fan is whisper quiet, wow these presets are sweet and software spot on...
--> SKY build quality subpar

Over engineering is not a sign on good engineering, nor does it make proper engineering, poor engineering.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has now devolved to nitpicking about warranty? Look, all my Radion G5 cases are cracked. From the factory. And EcoTech couldn’t care less about fixing it. Do we even need to mention the train wreck that’s Mobius? And I happen to like these lights otherwise...

Time will tell if the SKY stands up and how it performs with respect to the Radion and others.
That’s funny I had cracked cases as well and ecotech sent my two brand new lights. Of course I would rather not have cracked cases but the customer service could not have been better.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you owned many lights in the past.... watched a youtube video about the SKY... and now authoritatively claim that the light is overpriced and poorly constructed?

Industry average... $4/watt. Sky $3.97/watt. G5 $4.15/watt. GNC Blu Ray Pro $9.23/watt.
--> SKY is overpriced

G5 at release.... almost every unit is cracked, this fan has to be broken because it is super loud when they said it was specially designed to be silent, why do my lights keep changing schedule or just randomly turning off and on?. Sky at release... have yet to hear an issue from customers, the double fan is whisper quiet, wow these presets are sweet and software spot on...

Over engineering is not a sign on good engineering, nor does it make proper engineering, poor engineering.
post-purchase rationalization

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny I had cracked cases as well and ecotech sent my two brand new lights. Of course I would rather not have cracked cases but the customer service could not have been better.
I’m glad to hear you’ve had a positive experience. That isn’t the case for some of us.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that hard to believe
You find it hard to believe that EcoTech didn’t do anything? They “offered” to have the lights repaired at my expense through their Canadian repair center, even though they were brand new and under warranty. Their repair center never returned any of my emails or calls, and EcoTech ignored my followup requests.

I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why Mobius keeps losing my schedule and lights keep randomly turning off. Despite being documented by many others, I guess you probably find that hard to believe too.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You find it hard to believe that EcoTech didn’t do anything? They “offered” to have the lights repaired at my expense through their Canadian repair center, even though they were brand new. Their repair center never returned any of my emails or calls, and EcoTech ignored my followup requests.
Ok, I can’t comment on Canadian customer service, my apologies

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I can’t comment on Canadian customer service, my apologies
Well, it’s borderline non-existent. Red Sea sent me a new ReefWave when one was defective, Neptune was willing to send me a brand new Trident when there was something amiss with the camera. And it didn’t matter that I was all the way up in Canada.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You find it hard to believe that EcoTech didn’t do anything? They “offered” to have the lights repaired at my expense through their Canadian repair center, even though they were brand new and under warranty. Their repair center never returned any of my emails or calls, and EcoTech ignored my followup requests.

I’m still waiting for an explanation as to why Mobius keeps losing my schedule and lights keep randomly turning off. Despite being documented by many others, I guess you probably find that hard to believe too.
I know that as well. When we recently had floods in some regions here, the internet wasn't working properly. Although we don't live in any of these regions, we struggled with it. Strangely enough, the radion lights did not work properly during this time. I couldn't program or sync them properly. Mobius apparently needs a constant and stable connection to Ecotech (Cloud). If there are problems with the internet, the lights or pumps will immediately lose their synchronization and will not respond properly. And something else happened ... I had created and saved some light programs under Mobius. In the time when these problems with the Internet were, they all disappeared and no one can tell me where to go.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try this again. The discussion was on quality. You quoted my post which I said all anyone is doing is nit picking and digging for dirt. I also said anyone can look on the various forums and see that out of box experience for actual owners is positive. I then asked if you owned them and later reread the post to see you do not.

Your opinion is perfectly fine. Doesn't matter to me one way or another. I'm not trying to sell you a light let alone a fur coat. On the other hand the subject of poor quality so far isn't holding up and most users of the light are happy.

And you still haven’t proved that I can trust your opinion as an owner of sky lights or if you even have a reef tank, again let’s see it, you have ignored that twice.

According to you people shouldn’t give their opinion if they haven’t owned something. I just want to make sure I can trust your opinion on anything reef related let alone on the Sky’s

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

--> SKY is overpriced

I “authoritatively claimed” it was in my Opinion they were a poor quality product.

Also, thanks for joining in on the discussion. I suggest you go back and read what my point was. It related to a member saying people should not have an opinion of a product. I’m glad you’re happy with your lights and had nothing to do with you.

Personally I don’t care about price per watt, that means nothing to me. I’ll take higher count of lower watt LED’s, solid aluminum passive cooled, and a light that can handle a water splash. Since you are doing cost per watt you should add black box LED’s there also to compare the Sky to. No mixing panel needed here-

145B4EDB-604E-4311-B9ED-4B14BFA7351F.jpeg

@Bulk Reef Supply @Dana Riddle I’m happy to send you a Straton and a Blue Ray Pros to test and compare to the Sky’s at my cost.

Last edited:

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I “authoritatively claimed” it was in my Opinion they were a poor quality product.

Also, thanks for joining in on the discussion. I suggest you go back and read what my point was. It related to a member saying people should not have an opinion of a product. I’m glad you’re happy with your lights and had nothing to do with you.

Personally I don’t care about price per watt, that means nothing to me. I’ll take higher count of lower watt LED’s, solid aluminum passive cooled, and a light that can handle a water splash.

@Bulk Reef Supply @Dana Riddle I’m happy to send you Stratons and Blue Ray Pros to test and compare to the Sky’s at my cost.

Your posts in this thread concerning this light are constituted by:
  • Support of false information
  • Declarations that Neptune is overpriced, sub par quality
  • Statements that you can buy whatever you want
  • Attempts to use your affluence to position your opinion over others
I am simply asking for evidence of your claims that the light under discussion is poorly designed and overpriced compared to other lights on the market.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your posts in this thread concerning this light are constituted by:
  • Support of false information
  • Declarations that Neptune is overpriced, sub par quality
  • Statements that you can buy whatever you want
  • Attempts to use your affluence to position your opinion over others
I am simply asking for evidence of your claims that the light is poorly designed and overpriced compared to other lights on the market.

If you are going to compare lights make sure you include what they are made out of, how many LED’s, hanging kits included, etc.

Sky is closest to a black box design than it is to a Straton or a GNC.

Enjoy your Neptune labeled black box

Last edited:

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you are going to compare lights make sure you include what they are made out of, how many LED’s, hanging kits included, etc.

Sky is closest to a black box design than it is to a Straton or a GNC.

Enjoy your Neptune labeled black box, add that to the unfounded claims
Good try. I did in a previous post. Sky is actually close to the G5. Plastic case, Aluminum heat sink, actively cooled. Passive cooling leads to an increase of 2-3x in weight and 20-30% in price.

Thanks for the meaningful contribution to the thread.

BTW in terms of the GNC, interesting design choice for the power connector facing the water. Also, note the warranty terms in the manual. Quote from Fedex... $300 one way
1631712836678.png

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you still haven’t proved that I can trust your opinion as an owner of sky lights or if you even have a reef tank, again let’s see it, you have ignored that twice.

According to you people shouldn’t give their opinion if they haven’t owned something. I just want to make sure I can trust your opinion on anything reef related let alone on the Sky’s

You said it is a poor quality light? Based on? Opinion.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One last time. This is what you replied to:
At this point all anyone is doing is nit picking and digging for dirt. Anyone can look at the forum be it here or anywhere else and there really isn't any complaint. The only complaints are by those not even using them and opinions without substance compared to the actual feedback from users.

You do not own them, and it is your opinion. Now have a nice day.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last time. This is what you replied to:
At this point all anyone is doing is nit picking and digging for dirt. Anyone can look at the forum be it here or anywhere else and there really isn't any complaint. The only complaints are by those not even using them and opinions without substance compared to the actual feedback from users.

You do not own them, and it is your opinion. Now have a nice day.

And again, I'm not sure you own them either. I will have a great day, thank you. I hope you do as well.

Edit: any time you are in Dallas you are welcome to reach out and I’ll buy you a beer or come over and check out my reef. I don’t take these things personal and I hope you don’t. Ultimately we all share a passion for the hobby and of course we all have our opinions

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius apparently needs a constant and stable connection to Ecotech (Cloud). If there are problems with the internet, the lights or pumps will immediately lose their synchronization and will not respond properly.
That actually makes a lot of sense - thanks for the insight.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back