Neptune Sky, not happy at all!

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 that had two XR15 gen4 and a 4 bulb T5 setup over it and I switched it out to the Sky. What a joke this thing is. I have it 9 inches above the water line. There is a very obvious hot spot in the middle and the sides of my tank are very much darker than they ever were with the old lighting setup. I'm just not seeing the greatness in this light. I've got it running at 60% on AB+ and it honestly it looks terrible.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1628354502275.gif

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again More Hype than Realistic experience by an aquarium product MAJOR PROBLEM IN INDUSTRY
Agreed! Especially for a 900 light fixture.
Alas that light is not marketed to someone like me. I’m just a poor man in a rich mans world but My tank looks awesome with a couple 199 lights

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldve kept the old setup. Leds and t5 hybrid is a great setup
Getting to the point of going back for sure. May try to work the sky in-between the t5 setup.

It sounds like a case of mis managed expectations. I would never expect a single panel that size to cover a 65 gallon footprint
In some aspects, that may be absolutely true. I would expect this thing to be MUCH brighter than it currently is at 60% intensity. A single Xr15 G4 running ab+ at 60% looks much better!

What are your tank dimensions, and what is the placement / layout of your new light(s?)
36 long x 20 w x 20 h. Sky is placed directly in the middle with 10 1/2 inches from end of sky to the glass. Mounted on an XR arm at 9 inch high off the water.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, maybe raising the light will give you a better spread. Do you have a Par meter? If will help you when converting from a hybrid to strictly LED's.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recommended spread for the XR15's is 18"x18" and you had two depending on how you had them placed, that would cover 36"+. The Sky's recommended is 24"x30" so you would be losing 3" at each end. Plus you also had T5's so your old setup had a larger coverage and should look better. I agree with Bpb regarding expectations.

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, maybe raising the light will give you a better spread. Do you have a Par meter? If will help you when converting from a hybrid to strictly LED's.
Im in the process of getting my hands on a par meter now. I can't raise them up any higher than I have now. Mounting isn't an option at this point.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the process of getting my hands on a par meter now. I can't raise them up any higher than I have now. Mounting isn't an option at this point.
I use 4 Ecotech XR15 G5 Blues, and soon a 5th, in a hybrid and I still use a Par meter to dial in the LED's.

Unfortunately, you may have to find a way to raise it to even out the spread of the Apex Sky LED.

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 Ecotech XR15 G5 Blues, and soon a 5th, in a hybrid and I still use a Par meter to dial in the LED's.

Unfortunately, you may have to find a way to raise it to even out the spread of the Apex Sky LED.
I have hooks already in the ceiling that i hung an different t5 light from but the tank had already been setup before this happened and the hooks are not at all center due to them being secured into the wood beams. With that old light I could slide the wire points around to center the light over the tank, I can't do that with the Sky unfortunately.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hooks already in the ceiling that i hung an different t5 light from but the tank had already been setup before this happened and the hooks are not at all center due to them being secured into the wood beams. With that old light I could slide the wire points around to center the light over the tank, I can't do that with the Sky unfortunately.
Can you raise the wiring and hook up a crossbeam of some sort and attach the Sky to it? Just trying to think of ideas to help. :)

I have my Hybrid fixture hanging from a lighting structure that I use cable to attach it to. I have a piece of coated uni-strut that I attach the hybrid to. Though it may be different, it is exactly the same if I am picturing your setup correctly functionality wise.

20210509_151328 (2) - Copy.jpg

OP
OP
A

anygiven60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you raise the wiring and hook up a crossbeam of some sort and attach the Sky to it? Just trying to think of ideas to help. :)

I have my Hybrid fixture hanging from a lighting structure that I use cable to attach it to. I have a piece of coated uni-strut that I attach the hybrid to. Though it may be different, it is exactly the same if I am picturing your setup correctly functionality wise.

20210509_151328 (2) - Copy.jpg
I've just ordered the hanging kit for the Sky. Should be able to put in some heavy duty anchors and be ok since this things is MUCH lighter in weight than the T5 setup I had over the tank, that thing had some weight to it and why I had to tap into the wood.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back